FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting master clips to client - what format to use??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
Exporting master clips to client - what format to use??
on Mar 6, 2013 at 8:29:24 am

I'm about to export a number of movies to my client.

The obvoius one is self-contained ref movies, using the sequence settings. (SD PAL, DV50, widescreen).

But - in order to make sure the client can use the clips, should I also take the time to export to other formats? Most likely the master files will be used (by the client) to transcode to different web formats.

I figure that going higher than DV50 is pointless, but perhaps H.264 with AAC audio?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Niklas

Return to posts index

Simon Modery
Re: Exporting master clips to client - what format to use??
on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:14:41 am

Depends on who your client is. If they are technical people just ask for the exact specs. If the client doesn't know about these things I normally go with a H.264 MOV (just like you suggested).
But I also head cases where they were unable to play anything more advanced then the 10 years old, basic WMV format :-)

Head of Postproduction
Motherlode

http://www.simonmodery.com

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Mar 6, 2013 at 2:37:20 pm

Don't export a reference movie unless they have all of the original footage on their computer and the proper software to link it all up. Give them a self contained movie instead. H.264 is pretty universal and good quality as well.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:34:31 pm

Most of my clients can't tell me what format they want. I ask what do they want to do with it. Most the time they say YouTube and PowerPoint. So I make files that are best for those.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]