FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression settings for 720p / 50fps in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carrie Dodds
Compression settings for 720p / 50fps in FCP
on Mar 6, 2013 at 1:51:19 am

Hi all,

I'm not very technologically oriented when it comes to my camera equipment. I have a Sony NX cam and am currently recording in 720p at 50fps. My imported files are always very large - too large to share and long to export - and any attempt to compress them looks messy and pixelated. Do you have any suggestions for importing/compression? Or should I just change the recording settings on my camera?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Compression settings for 720p / 50fps in FCP
on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:36:06 am

To work with that footage in FC, its needs to be converted to Prores, so the file size will increase.

[Carrie Dodds] "Or should I just change the recording settings on my camera?"
Other options in your camera will be 1080i/p25.
That will half the frame rate but will duplicate the picture size. So you will end up with similar file size then when shooting 720p50.
rafael

Return to posts index

Carrie Dodds
on Mar 6, 2013 at 11:28:04 am

Thanks Rafael. So this rules out any changes to the recording settings, I assume.

I record presentations that are anywhere from 20 mins to 1 hr. Can you recommend any compression settings (I have FCP and Compressor) to help reduce clips to under 1GB? I have yet to find a solution that does not distort the picture completely.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 6, 2013 at 5:01:47 pm

For editing, you need to use ProRes. You need to use an editing codec. Trying to compress this footage to under 1GB FOR EDITING...doesn't make sense. You edit full res, then export to a compressed format later.

If you want to keep file sizes small...edit the native format the camera records...look at Premiere Pro. It does that. FCP does not...it requires the footage be converted to an editing codec.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]