FORUMS: list search recent posts

Real talk: How long does FCP7 have left?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Nastro
Real talk: How long does FCP7 have left?
on Mar 5, 2013 at 8:38:29 pm

I work for a company that uses exclusively FCP7 for all post work, personally I use CS6 for personal projects. In my opinion, while still imperfect, Adobe Premiere is going to carry the torch for FCP7 users who find no use for FCPX(such as myself). The question I am posing to you all is exactly how long you think FCP7 will be a viable option for pro editing? I just want to start a conversation here and get some perspective.

My personal opinion that in a matter of a year or so, we will see the use of FCP7 diminish exponentially and post houses that use FCP7 will begin switching over to Premiere by 2015.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Real talk: How long does FCP7 have left?
on Mar 5, 2013 at 9:25:57 pm

Our office is planning to stay with FCP7 as long as our computers and the OS remain able to support it. That could be anything from 2 to 4 more years, since we don't just upgrade for the sake of upgrading, and for our particular needs, 7 remains quite capable.

We're not doing stuff that's bleeding-edge, so since its paid for by taxpayers, we will wring every cent's worth of use out of what we have until it makes more sense to change, or we can't do something the clients needs us to do using FCS3.

During this time, we're evaluating FCPX and Adobe, probably buying single copies and setting them up on an imac (or the storied new tower about to come out) to play with and see what the staff think of each. This gives FCPx more time to catch up to where we might need it to be, and to see what the next iteration of Premiere will offer. And the staff will be able to train up and be ready to cross over without any drama, in their own good time.

The universe of users for these products is very diverse, and you will probably see individuals sticking with FCS3 five years from now. Heck, I stuck to my EOL'd Discreet Edit*6 for years after everyone else had jumped to FCS2. (AutoDiscreet's shoddy treatment of Edit* users is why I'm not excited about moving to Smoke, BTW. Burn me once, shame on you...)

The core of what we do is pure cutting, and it matters less what the specific tool is, than how adept an editor gets with their favorite, intimately understood tools. You don't go to a movie and say: "oh yeah, I can tell that cut was made on an Avid and not FCP". And my FCS 3 workstation didn't stop being awesome the day FCPX was debuted.

So I'm not going to panic.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 5, 2013 at 9:35:50 pm

We will still see it in heavy use in Hollywood for 3-4 more years. This town really sticks with the "if it works, use it." And FCP 7 still works, still works well. I know places still using 10 year old Avid's.

Until Adobe is really solid, and then a few people take risks with it, and it is proven, Hollywood won't use it (it's a funny place in that respect). I know Adobe is used by SNL...so it has started. But I also know many post places and production places heavily invested in Apple tech (FCP, FC Server)....so they'll use it until it no longer is useful.

And I see that being another 4 years or so.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 6, 2013 at 12:06:34 am

[Shane Ross] "We will still see it in heavy use in Hollywood for 3-4 more years. "

Might be a little bit optimistic but without evidence to the contrary not likely to go away... until...

Apple does something that disables the suite with an OS change, or 4K starts getting more traction. Some new format may be the FCP7 killer. If enough people start insisting on some new breed of codec, then it will be all over. Will it be XAVC? Would enough people decide its not worth the trouble to use wrappers, proxies and transcodes?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 6, 2013 at 7:31:34 am

The killer will be camera codecs and the desire to convert reams of footage to ProRes. No-one is making people upgrade Mac OS and I am sticking with SL and a working FCS3 suite for as many years as editors keep feeding me grade & sound post work from FCP7. It is not hard to partition a drive if you want to move forward with OS and new software. Just keep a legacy partition to dual boot to.

I expect a few more years but meanwhile I have moved to CS6 and da Vinci as my next grade & finish tools.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 7, 2013 at 7:01:24 pm

[Mark Suszko] "AutoDiscreet's shoddy treatment of Edit* users is why I'm not excited about moving to Smoke, BTW. Burn me once, shame on you..."

And here I thought I was the only one still carrying that particular grudge. Welcome. ;)

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Ken Nicholson
on Mar 9, 2013 at 9:46:46 pm

Herb,

There are platoons of us edit*ors hanging around in the shadows, waiting to dance on Autodesk's grave... ah, well maybe they could just move their HQ done the road apiece to San Quentin. Barbaric!!!

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

Braden Barty
on Sep 16, 2013 at 4:14:57 am

I have used FCP 7. I am now 100% on Adobe Premiere CC and it works great!
Its so bizzar why so many people are putting up with all the out dated FCP 7 hassles. 3 to 4 more years of life? Really? Have you seen what you can do on Adobe Premiere Pro CC and the rest of the creative suite. Come on Grandpa editor who refuses to get off the Steenbeck Flatbed editing table! Remember that guy in the corner of the editorial office. That's how all you FCP 7 editors are acting. After 1 month of Adobe Premiere CC you will all look back and wonder WTF was I waiting for? So in 3-4 years while Premiere Editors are taking all the jobs, you FCP 7 users will be playing catch up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]