FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Workflow -- Finishing Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Koblenz
RED Workflow -- Finishing Issues
on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:30:21 pm

This is probably a basic issue, and easily answerable. But I wanna know what's the best workflow for FCP and RED. I transcoded the R3D files into Apple 422 Proxy, and then edited it in FCP7. Then I went back into REDCINE-X Pro to do some basic color grading by exporting an XML from FCP. The edit's got crops and zooms, etc., and that didn't show up in REDCINE, obviously. Neither did the audio. So I color graded, and I wanna know how best to finish. Do I somehow reconnect the media in FCP to the R3D files in order to export the film from FCP? How do I do that and get the color grading on the clips included? Can I somehow export an XML from REDCINE to FCP and will that retain the original information from FCP?

Any advice? Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: RED Workflow -- Finishing Issues
on Mar 4, 2013 at 10:31:20 pm

Maybe there are other individuals attempting to do what you are doing, but it seems a little out of the ordinary -- and nothing that I would do personally, at least it has not occurred to me.

You are dealing with two separate sets of media, as far as I can gather. When you : transcoded the R3D files into Apple 422 Proxy, and then edited it in FCP7. as long as you were not using one of the QT proxies in the RDC file hierarchy, you were generating a new piece of media that would have no memory or linkage to the R3D files, save in name and path. When you generate an XML file, that is a "pointer" system that helps an application find an original source element -- but anything you might have done with it in Final Cut would be a mystery to RedCine. Maybe this grade and return would work if you were to somehow replace the Apple422Proxy media with something new (ProRes 4x4?) and reconnected that in FCP, so that all your edits, PTRZ adjustments and so on were applied appropriately back in the editor.

Of course, this is what Apple COLOR, Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve, and several other purpose-built grading applications are supposed to do.... without all the other mucking around.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]