FORUMS: list search recent posts

For the love of God, can this be fixed...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Conlee
For the love of God, can this be fixed...
on Mar 4, 2013 at 7:55:41 pm

I've just taken over somebody else's FCP 7.0.3 feature film edit, and his tracks are completely filled with audio of different sample rates and formats. Nearly every move I make I have to rerender all my audio and it's KILLING ME. I'm an Avid guy and this whole having to render audio thing is completely new to me. Is there a way I can batch convert this guy's tracks without losing my links so I no longer have to deal with this? Or has he screwed me royally by not setting the project up correctly in the first place?

Chris

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: For the love of God, can this be fixed...
on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:26:11 pm

You can batch convert the audio but if anything in the filename changes (including the file extension) then FCP won't automatically relink to it. You can force FCP to manually relink to it one file at a time though. That's tedious but probably not as tedious as having to constantly re-render audio. Having improper audio in the timeline can also cause problems on exports (audio distortions or sync problems) that won't show up in the timeline so even if you put up with the constant audio rendering you might get a nasty surprise when you go to export the movie.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:46:26 pm

You can have compressor convert and keep the original name. Then set a separate folder to have the conversions end up. Then relink all the audio to those new files, and delete the old audio.

It's a pain...and I really hate it when other editors just throw stuff on the timeline and don't realize that "hey, if you have to render, somethings wrong." Very very beginner behavior.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:10:37 pm

It's a pain...and I really hate it when other editors just throw stuff on the timeline and don't realize that "hey, if you have to render, somethings wrong." Very very beginner behavior.

=Shane

...or they came from Sony vegas or Adobe backgrounds :-P Those systems and FCPX are more able to deal with the multi-format elements. My Adobe friends constantly throw this in my face about any rate, any time.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:56:59 pm

True...you don't have to render with those systems. But if you move to another edit system, and suddenly nothing works without rendering...that should be a clue that something isn't right. No matter what you came from.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 4, 2013 at 10:45:33 pm

"Nearly every move I make I have to rerender all my audio and it's KILLING ME."

if you render the audio at the item level, then you should not get this.
you will have to render any extensions you make, but just on that clips, not your whole timeline.

also, FCP remembers these renders, so you can trim, and re-extend, and the render will still work.
this is unlike the way FCP deals with video renders.

still, what Andrew says is right, you wont have complete stability until you get those non-standard formats replaced.

i think if you use compressor to convert you should be able to do a batch reconnect if the names are fixed with some batch re-namer to match the originals.
(iTunes will convert and NOT change the names.)
you will definitely get a reconnect error warning about media start and end times not matching.
you can safely ignore it, but still, do all this work on a COPY of the project

but here's one more thought: as well as the format mis-match, you may be having ANOTHER ISSUE .
in FCP User Prefs, set your real time mixing to a LOT higher than the default of 8 tracks.
that default hasn't been changed since 1999 or whenever it was FCP came out!

nick

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Mar 4, 2013 at 11:32:55 pm

[Nick Meyers] "but here's one more thought: as well as the format mis-match, you may be having ANOTHER ISSUE .
in FCP User Prefs, set your real time mixing to a LOT higher than the default of 8 tracks.
that default hasn't been changed since 1999 or whenever it was FCP came out!"

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

While I still have a number of temp cues and sfx at mismatched rates, the biggest problem was indeed that realtime editing was set to 8 tracks. Now that I've got that set to 20 tracks, things are much smoother.

And the original editor of this piece was the director, so I can't really blame any other "editor" for this mess.

Chris

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 4, 2013 at 11:53:50 pm

glad to be of assistance :)

i usually start at 24 tracks, then just keep upping it if i need to
(reverbs & pitch shifts will eat up track allocation)

i have been in exactly your position lately with an inherited project containing many mp3s.

without an assistant, i wound up just converting the music file as i hit them in the timeline.

there's a "reveal in finder" command, try right clinking on a timeline clip to see if it's in there,
but i think it only works from the browser (right click or menu)
or the viewer, (menu, or custom shortcut - you really want to get into them!)

shift F should reveal the clip in the browser IF it is a master clip.
(good luck with a director-initiated edit!)

when i get to the file, i open it in QT player7 (drag to the dock)
then export as AIFF, 48k, 16 or 24 bit, best quality
QT player remembers these settings

when i export, i add (mp3) to the file name.
i once had an mp3 conversion go into a final mix by mistake, so i always add a tag to avoid that happening again.

saving the AIFF to the location of the sourcefile makes for an easier re-connect.
use "Search" (FCP finds it), not "Locate" (you find it)
you will go to the source file, then un-check the "same name & reel#" box, and chose to connect to the AIFF.
as i said you'll get a warning about media start & end times that you can ignore.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]