FORUMS: list search recent posts

How should I import footage from a DVD recorder into Final Cut Pro X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garry Pettet
How should I import footage from a DVD recorder into Final Cut Pro X?
on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:46:41 pm

I record myself playing old video games using a DVD recorder. The footage is finalised to disk and I end up with a normal DVD structure (Video TS folder with multiple titles).

What format should I convert this into to edit in Final Cut Pro X and what software do I need to do the conversion? I'm looking for quality preservation (although I appreciate that the source is only upscaled standard definition to start with).

The end result will be videoes to be shown on the web (probably H.264).

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: How should I import footage from a DVD recorder into Final Cut Pro X?
on Mar 4, 2013 at 12:36:08 am

Use MPEG Streamclip to rip the DVD into the codec and format of your choice.
http://www.squared5.com

In the future it's probably best to ask FCP X questions in the FCP X forum (not the FCP7 forum):
http://forums.creativecow.net/fcpxtechnique

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Garry Pettet
on Mar 4, 2013 at 2:58:53 pm

Sorry about using the wrong forum - I hadn't realised.

Thank for the tip - MPEG Streamclip has done the job.

Return to posts index

groot james
on Mar 19, 2013 at 8:36:00 am
Last Edited By groot james on Feb 20, 2014 at 2:46:20 am

Handbrake - free
HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 converter, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows.

Supported sources:

Any DVD-like source: VIDEO_TS folder, DVD image or real DVD (encrypted or unencrypted, but protection methods other than CSS are not supported and must be handled with third-party software like AppGeeker), and some .VOB and .TS files
PAL or NTSC
AC-3, DTS, LPCM or MPEG audio tracks
Outputs:

File format: MP4, MKV, AVI or OGM
Video: MPEG-4 or H.264 (1 or 2 passes or constant quantizer/rate encoding)
Audio: AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC-3 pass-through (supports encoding of several audio tracks)
Misc features:

Chapter selection
Basic subtitle support (burned into the picture)
Integrated bitrate calculator
Picture deinterlacing, cropping and scaling
Grayscale encoding

" Everything in this world has a loophole.....you just need to find the right one ! "

Return to posts index

Cam Banks
on Mar 20, 2013 at 4:08:30 am

Yeah, I am having this problem also; I may start a separate thread, but since this one is recent...

I have unencrypted DVDs (about 18 of them!) that I need to cut up into bite-size pieces for web delivery. Originally shot on Digital 8 (so, DV codec, interlaced) and then somewhat poorly encoded into the DVD format. MPEG Streamclip reports them typically as "Video Tracks: 224 MPEG-2, 720 × 480, 4:3, 29.97 fps, 8.00 Mbps, upper field first, Audio Tracks: 192 MP2 stereo, 48 kHz, 224 kbps"

Some of them have timecode breaks, per MPEG Streamclip, which it can usually deal with, although there's one where I can't get the audio to sync. It's in sync within the Streamclip player window, but no matter what settings I choose, the resulting Quicktime .mov file has an audio lag.

I'm trying for maximum quality from these DVDs so I'm extracting to uncompressed 4:2:2, either 8 or 10 bit, depending on the options. Still, I don't like the deinterlacing artifacts - there's got to be a better way?!

I have Cinematize Pro 2 as well, but it doesn't deal w/timecode breaks as far as I can tell and won't extract anything beyond the first tc break. Neither does the demo version of Cinematize 3. Likewise, I have Toast 11, which at least will deliver synced audio on the problematic DVDs, but doesn't look any better.

Once you pick custom settings, eventually all these programs dump you into a multi-pane settings dialog box that is the same from program-to-program. I guess maybe this is the core ffmpegx settings or something like that?

I sure could use some help on how to use any of the 3 programs above to get 1) synced audio, and 2) an output without horrible interlacing artifacts. Or suggestions for a different program to try, or different settings? I guess that if I've got as good output as I can get, then I've solved the audio sync problem (I'll use Toast 11 for that dvd), but the deinterlacing really looks like crap so far.

I'll go play w/JES deinterlace now and see if that looks any better.

Thx,

Cam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]