FORUMS: list search recent posts

h.264 to digibeta ... ok? or major quality loss

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phoebe brush
h.264 to digibeta ... ok? or major quality loss
on Mar 2, 2013 at 11:00:34 pm

So I am in a terrible situation where my system crashed and my back-ups are not cooperating. My film is finished and I have a back-up of it on h.264 but was planning to make a few more small changes before calling it final. Now that looks unlikely. Obviously I am an idiot for not having better back-ups.

I have a festival screening coming up and they require a Digibeta. A. is it possible to use the file compressed as h.264 for the transfer and B. if so, will I lose a lot of quality? THANK YOU for ANY thoughts you have.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: h.264 to digibeta ... ok? or major quality loss
on Mar 3, 2013 at 1:01:47 am

Depends on the data rate of that H.264, and frame size. I've delivered high quality H.264s for news delivery.

The H.264 will have to be converted again...to ProRes, so that FCP can play it out to the Digibeta deck. Or converted to an Avid codec...however you get it out to tape. It won't look as good as the original...but it might not look bad. Again, depending on how compressed it is.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 3, 2013 at 5:03:04 am

Don't you have your Final Cut project with the original footage?
rafael

Return to posts index

phoebe brush
on Mar 3, 2013 at 8:33:14 pm

no, that's the problem. i have the footage but the most recent project file is tied up. I'm working on retrieving it from crashplan but i'm up against some deadlines. since i have the h.264 version i was hoping there was a chance i'd be ok. thanks for asking.

Return to posts index

Simon Modery
on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:25:40 am

Will you transfer a 1080 H264 onto a SD Digibeta?

Head of Postproduction
Motherlode

http://www.simonmodery.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]