FORUMS: list search recent posts

How best to export a 2 hour video for standard DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Oxley
How best to export a 2 hour video for standard DVD
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:41:08 am

Hello everyone. I have a live performance video that is just under 2 hours long on the timeline.

After spending quite a long time reading forums about how best to do a simple export for iDVD, the plan was Export Movie for Quicktime, then use a Compressor preset to compress for a DVD sized file. However, I got it going last night, and when I checked it in the morning (9 hours later) it was only at 25% and still had 24 hours remaining. Surely this isn't right? I was informed that by unchecking Make Movie Self-Contained (as I would be using the same computer to burn the disc) the file could be up to 20 times smaller and the export 20 times quicker without loss of quality. Was I mis-informed?

After Export Movie for Quicktime I had set the Settings to Apple ProRes 422 1920/1080 24p 48khz as that's what format my footage is in. Is this correct?

Any tips would be fantastic, I'm desperate to get this finished once and and for all!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How best to export a 2 hour video for standard DVD
on Mar 1, 2013 at 5:14:21 pm

[Andy Oxley] "the plan was Export Movie for Quicktime, then use a Compressor preset to compress for a DVD sized file."

Compressed using what settings? When authoring a DVD, you need to use very specific settings. For iDVD...you don't do anything other than export the final, and then bring that into iDVD and let it compress it. Because it's a simple app meant for consumers who don't know the fine art of compressing. Final Cut Studio has different tools for this.

Export the QT movie...bring that into Compressor and use the DVD BEST QUALITY PRESET for 120 minutes. Take the result into DVD Studio Pro and author the DVD.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:14:25 pm

" I was informed that by unchecking Make Movie Self-Contained (as I would be using the same computer to burn the disc) the file could be up to 20 times smaller and the export 20 times quicker without loss of quality. Was I mis-informed?"

that refers only to the export from FCP.
compressing the file will take just as long.

also an issue with reference movies is that if you happen to lose access to one of the files the movie s referencing,
the whole process will fail.

could be you saved 20 minutes on the FCP export, and now have a huge hang in Compressor

nick

Return to posts index

Andy Oxley
on Mar 5, 2013 at 11:47:05 am

Thank you both for your advice, very useful information! Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]