FORUMS: list search recent posts

High Light Number for Commercial

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
High Light Number for Commercial
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:58:40 pm

Hallo Everybody,

following Q: If you look at the Video, you see a highlight glow, that runs over the numbers to emphasis them. I have a text like this (but not from text generator, but a PNG file with transparant background from PS) and I want to do the same effect in FCP. How to do it in AE is a no brainer, but anybody knows a quick way in FCP?

Number Highlight

Greetz,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: High Light Number for Commercial
on Mar 1, 2013 at 6:12:49 am

Probably just like you'd do in AE. Make a duplicate layer above, apply a glow or blur it, and then animate a crop across it. Try applying the duplicate layer with different composite modes like add, multiply, overlay, hard light, etc. Give the duplicate layer a big fat fuzzy purple drop shadow too. Stuff like that.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 1, 2013 at 9:42:02 am

Thanx a lot Bret.
Yes, in AE I'd put a double layer and then put the top one with glow & travel the glow with a moving mask.
But how in FCP working with crop can you assure that when it travels it stay the same size of opening, since you have to define Right & Left Crop. You just eyeball the gap to be the same?

Sascha

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 1, 2013 at 2:38:55 pm

You can make this happen in Apple Motion very simply and repeatably, the effect is already built-in to the text generator there. In the FCP timeline, you could build an invisible mask using the multipoint masking tool and then animate the entire mask's travel as one thing, probably. Like an invisible donut in the alpha channel. Though instead of a donut shape, you mask would look like the letter"c".

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:11:49 pm

Multi Point Masking Tool? Your refer to the 4-Point and 8-point garbage Matte? If yes, that is what I also thought, but then I didn't know how to move the mask as a whole with changing all the time each corner point coordinates separately. Why actually a C shape and how you achieve that with the Matte tool?

Thanx a lot.

Greetz,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 1, 2013 at 4:27:59 pm

I just tried it in a crude mockup, it worked.

I set up a slug on the top layer, used the 4 point masking tool to shape a cut-out revealer. Double-clicking on the slug in the track brings up the wireframe controls, so you can move the entire mask as one item with one set of keyframes. Set up the glint as a luma key that the mask will reveal as it animates, and I think you'll have it. I thought it needed to be shaped like the letter "C" just so the back end of the mask wouldn't re-bliock anything, but that doesn't seem to be a big deal with keyframe control.

This also worked with a black screen and circle wipe pattern and with a mask made in photoshop out of a black square with a hole cut in the center.

Fiddling with the transfer mode so you see the glint but not the mask revealing it, is actually the bigger task here, I think.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 2, 2013 at 6:31:27 pm

Thanx a lot, I will try that right now!

Greetz,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 2, 2013 at 6:41:02 pm

For some reason, when I drop a 4-Point Matte on the Slug, it does not let me reconfigure the corner points. When I do that, the Slug shows no reaction. The pin points stay at the same corner spots.
Any idea why?

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 2, 2013 at 8:18:29 pm

You double-click the slug to start with...

then go to the "filters" control panel and select each point there, one at a time, to activate it. The little round button with a + symbol.

When a point is activated, a little red plus+ shows up in the viewer and you can now move that point with the mouse.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Mar 2, 2013 at 8:53:02 pm

That's what is did.
But it wouldn't work. So I to generated the one colour ray in the generators tab, masked that, gave it a tint, a glow and even put some rotation animation on it, put it above the image, blended it with overlay and bam.... Looks great!

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 3, 2013 at 12:23:40 am

Oh well, just proves that there's many ways to get something done in FCP. :-)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 1, 2013 at 8:48:03 pm

Well if what you're doing is anything like the example, I think eyeball would be just fine and you'd be done by now.

But if you want to be exact, there's always math. Move the left side X pixels. Move the right side X pixels.

Garbage mattes and motion just seem like overkill for something that should take next to no time right in the app.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]