FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making an export for DCP with 5.1 sound...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gus Howard
Making an export for DCP with 5.1 sound...
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:57:19 pm

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have a film that has been accepted to a festival, and the required format is DCP. It was shot on RED, edited in FCP. The audio was mixed in ProTools and exported as a 2-channel stereo track.

The festival requires a DCP with 5.1 stereo. The DCP house says they can re-map the existing channels over, so the channels will all be filled.

Would this be acceptable? Other than re-mixing to 5.1, do I have any other options for fulfilling the requirement of the festival? The film is a simple doc with lavs, camera sound, and music. It's nothing fancy requiring 5 channels of audio.

If this is the wrong place to ask this... please feel free to kick me into another place. Trying to find a place to start.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Making an export for DCP with 5.1 sound...
on Mar 1, 2013 at 1:16:47 am

[Gus Howard] "The festival requires a DCP with 5.1 stereo. "

5.1 "Stereo"? That's a new one. So, maybe they just want a 6 point/channel DCP package, but aren't specifying if only the L/R channels need to be filled, if what you've really got is a 2-channel stereo mix. Which would also be acceptable within the DCI description, but there is a lot of confusion out there, obviously.
Filling all the surround channels with L/R doesn't sound like a great plan, since the C./Lfe channels need to be mono, and have a different mix-down and frequency domain. Maybe your DCP post house is offering a fake Surround.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]