FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding DSLR footage with Compressor not working

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Machilles
Transcoding DSLR footage with Compressor not working
on Feb 28, 2013 at 9:39:45 pm

Hi

So I am transcoding footage for work as I have done time and time again. We work on Final Cut Pro 7 and do most of our shoots on DSLR's so I transcode things through Compressor to Pro Res 422 on a regular basis but I have never seen this problem before and had trouble even figuring out how to Google it.

Basically I am transcoding footage from 5D Mark II and a co-worker already did about half of one card. I went to do the second half and everytime I send it through compressor it comes out as one long still image. It will still say a correct looking GB amount like 1+ to 8+ GB and the clip will be the correct length, but it will all be one still image. Not even an image from the clip!!! The raw footage works fine, and the image that is coming out is from a previously transcoded clip.

I can't figure it out, I've tried resetting Compressor and relinking the drive but nothing has worked. Anyone experience anything like this or have any potential solutions?

Thanks in advanced,

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Transcoding DSLR footage with Compressor not working
on Feb 28, 2013 at 10:27:52 pm

Try MPEG STREAMCLIP...or Magic Bullet Grinder...or 5DtoRGB.

Two of those are free.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ted Machilles
on Feb 28, 2013 at 10:50:10 pm

Thanks Shane,
I appreciate the program suggestions but I'm looking for a solution to the Compressor problem.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:01:08 pm

You asked: "Anyone experience anything like this or have any potential solutions?"

I offered potential solutions.

Also try COMPRESSOR REPAIR, from digitalrebellion.com. See if that fixes Compressor.

But since it worked on the other card, and not this...I wondered if the issue was the media somehow. Try the first set of media again...just one clip...and then the second set. If it works on the first, but not the second, then the media is the logical culprit. And thus why you try alternative software to see if THEY can deal with the media properly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ted Machilles
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:05:37 pm

That was a whole hearted thanks, I DO appreciate the program suggestions. I'm just clarifying so that maybe I can get another answer.

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:27:36 pm

I second 5DtoRGB and MPEG Streamclip, both free.
I would never use Compressor to do my transcodes.
Just my opinion.

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Ted Machilles
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:38:01 pm

Brian,

Just out of curiosity why the opposition to Compressor? Up until this point (8 months at this job and any projects of my own), it has worked out fine. And the solution turned out to be pretty simple, but I'm curious if you feel these other programs do something better or more efficiently? I've heard Compressor is a little on the slow side, but I haven't used another program to transcode in the same way so I can't say from personal experience.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ted Machilles
on Feb 28, 2013 at 11:24:23 pm

The solution I discovered was Compressor > "Reset Background Processing"

Can't say how or why. But it worked

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:30:24 am

Do a search on 5DtoRGB and the comparisons it has to programs like MPEG Streamclip, etc.
MPEG Streamclip is really fast to transcode and 5DtoRGB is slower, but i like 5DtoRGB better. Do some searches on MPEG Streamclip vs 5DtoRGB, etc. Some good info out there, sorry i dont have any links off hand. Compressor is ok for tons of different kinds of encoding, but if you have DSLR footage, i would highly recommend those two programs mentioned above. WAY faster and simple. Compressor is just slow. Does a decent job though.
Actually here is a link. http://www.nofilmschool.com did some good comparisons.
Here is just one...

http://nofilmschool.com/2010/09/does-5dtorgb-yield-the-absolute-best-qualit...

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:34:46 am

My main reason for using 5DtoRGB is that i feel it matches my original files perfectly. With MPEG Streamclip while way faster doing transcodes, it does something to my footage to make it lighter. Not sure what is going on there. Same with Compressor. Like a gain in exposure or gamma. 5DtoRGB makes it look exactly like my original file. I have done screenshots, zoomed in, etc. Nothing has worked as good as 5DtoRGB. Just my opinion though.
Do a google search on 5DtoRGB vs Compressor

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:34:32 am

Agree and pay the $49 for the batch version - so much nicer to batch a whole card at once.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]