FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting MXF to MOV, resulting clips way too fast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james mills
Converting MXF to MOV, resulting clips way too fast
on Feb 28, 2013 at 12:54:03 am

First of all, I am posting this in the Final Cut Pro section even though I will be working in (ahem) iMovie, but there wasn't an iMovie section that I could see, and I think it's a general question, and people knowledgeable about FCB might know the answer. I am sorry if this is a breach of etiquette!

For a video project, I am converting MXF clips shot on a Panasonic video camera to MOV clips for use in (ahem) iMovie. I was able to preview the clips in a free version of a program, so I think they are OK.

I bought Tipard MXF Converter to do the actual conversion of all the clips. The results are super-speed, with video and audio running about 3x normal speed. I am guessing it might have to do with frame rate, but I don't know. I have tried messing about with all the parameters they offer, but nothing seems to result in a plain transfer from MXF to MOV at normal speed.

The properties of the original clips seem to be...
VIDEO
Encoder: dvvideo
Resolution: 960*720
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Frame rate: 59.940 fps
Video bitrate: 115084 kbps
AUDIO
Encoder: pcm_s16le
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 2
Audio bitrate: 1536 kbps

The ranges of parameters that Tipard offers are...
VIDEO
Encoder: H.264 or MPEG4
Resolution: various from 176*144 to 704*576
Aspect ratio: Auto, 4:3 or 16:9
Frame rate: various from 20 fps to 30 fps, plus "Keep Original"
Video bitrate: various from 256 to 2500 kbps
AUDIO
Encoder: AAC only
Sample rate: various from 22050 to 48000 Hz
Channels: 1 (mono), 2 (stereo), or 5.1
Audio bitrate: various from 32 to 192 kbps

Are the original clips of too high a frame rate for Tipard to handle them? What do you suggest? This is a one-time project, so any workarounds would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time!

Jim

P.S. I am working on a fairly normal MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.8, with 2.2 GHz speed and 2 GB memory.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting MXF to MOV, resulting clips way too fast
on Feb 28, 2013 at 1:29:19 am

Do you have FCP? If so, use that to convert the footage to QUicktime via Log and Transfer. Workflow here:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

And then for use in iMovie, you will need to convert the files to Apple Intermediate Codec.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

james mills
on Feb 28, 2013 at 1:33:54 am

No, I don't have FCP. I wish I did!! (I wouldn't be messing with iMovie.)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2013 at 3:45:52 am

Well, you really should get an editing app that can handle the format you are shooting. How about getting FCP-X? It'll work with this footage just fine (different importing workflow), and it is only $299.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

james mills
on Mar 5, 2013 at 7:02:00 pm

Yes, you are probably right. Since it's just one project and only about eight clips total, and since I already bought the MXF converter, I was hoping there was some way to make this work.

(I will look into FCP X though. A lot of the people out there don't love it, but it could fit my needs.)

Return to posts index

John O'Rourke
on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:56:59 pm

If you haven't already done so, you can download 30 day free trial of FCPX in APP store. It works just the same as if you paid for it.
Since you are only using it for one project and 8 clips this method should work out fine. Just make sure you finish it within the trial period and export to MOV all other footage as backup in case you don't

John O'rourke

Sorry people I was answering a question, didn't mean to post a new thread. How do I erase it!?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]