FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnecting media with a different extension from the original?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reuben Fink
Reconnecting media with a different extension from the original?
on Feb 27, 2013 at 2:18:56 am

I had a quick turn-around and needed to get out some dallies that were shot on an af100. All files are .mts and were edited in Premiere Pro. This would be fine if the edit was staying in Premiere but we're moving this operation over to FCP7 by request of the producer. There currently are 220 clips that I have converted to ProRes and I would have to reconnect each one manually. So what I'm asking for is if there's some kind of script for FCP or PP that will allow you to reconnect footage based on specified criteria. Such as identical naming conventions excluding the extension. This would allow me to replace all .mts files with the ProRes .mov files. This would save a load of time. And I would sing your praises.

Thanks.

OSX 10.8.2
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro 3,1 Early 2008, 20 gig of ram
Aps: CS6 Production Premium, FCP Suite, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Reconnecting media with a different extension from the original?
on Feb 27, 2013 at 2:36:07 am

Unless the name matches exactly, FCP won't automatically see it. And unless the timecode matches exactly, FCP won't reconnect it properly. It might work without a reel number, but it will complain.

But unless it has the exact name and timecode, there is no automatic way to do this.

Exporting an XML of the cut from Premiere is a good start. Then convert all the footage to ProRes...make sure the names stay the same (tricky, some AVCHD like to start as "Clip #1, Clip #2"...and then do it again on the next card! So this might be VERY tricky.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
Re: Reconnecting media with a different extension from the original?
on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:51:29 am

Well I did a batch rename to all the MTS files so each one had a unique name, before I started editing. I created ProRes duplicates from these with the same unique naming convention. This eliminates the issue of duplicate file names. I will try the XML idea but I have a feeling FCP will still look for an exact name with .mts extension. If it doesn't then we might just be on to something. I'll take a stab tomorrow. What I'm really looking for is some combination between reconnect media and similar tools used in batch renaming apps such as name mangler or bridge.

OSX 10.8.2
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro 3,1 Early 2008, 20 gig of ram
Aps: CS6 Production Premium, FCP Suite, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]