FORUMS: list search recent posts

iPhone 5 video to FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Brearley
iPhone 5 video to FCP7
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:49:24 pm

Hi All,

Sorry, I can see this has been posted before but there are so many conflicting answers it becomes confusing and overwhelming even though I am fairly familiar with trying to troubleshoot these issues.

I have shot footage on my iPhone 5 and I want to edit it using FCP 7. This is to be used for a video on Youtube.

I know I need to use Streamclip to convert it but what are the optimum settings and what is the best Easy Setup to use on FCP?

I guess the main confusion is in regards to the variables of Compression, the Frame size and the Field Dominance and how this affects the FCP setup.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Dan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: iPhone 5 video to FCP7
on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:37:31 pm

Convert to ProRes 422. Same size as you shot (if 1080, then 1080)...same frame rate as you shot (if 29.97, then 29.97). Field Dominance will be NONE, as the camera phone shoots Progressive.

Import that into FCP. Drop the first clip into the timeline, and FCP will ask if you want the sequence settings to match that of the clip. Click YES.

Done.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Brearley
on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:36:30 pm

Hi Little Frog,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. As far as I can work out, the iPhone 5 always shoots in 1080p. The tech specs say it shoots up to 30fps although I'm not sure how to change this or determine the frame rate I have shot at, other than checking settings in the browser in FCP.

Thanks again,

Dan

Return to posts index

Dan Brearley
on Feb 27, 2013 at 6:21:45 pm

I opened the clip in Quicktime and the inspector showed the size to be 568x320 (Actual). Does this mean I have not shot at 1080 or is that somehow different? I cannot see how to change the size I am shooting at on the iPhone.

Any help - thanks!

Return to posts index

chris king
on May 18, 2015 at 9:07:14 am

I try to edit MOV files out of my iPhone5 in FCP. But this is going to take too much time, because FCP renders every modification on the timeline. Got some tech support online, I got know that iPhone records in H.264 and outputs its files as .MOV files (the container). So the files you are getting out of iPhone are suited to be delivered, but not for editing. That means FCP doesn't work natively with the format that the iPhone records, which is why near-constant rendering is required. To import iPhone video to FCP, you'll need to first convert iPhone video to ProRes 422, then import the new files into FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]