FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to DELIVER an interlaced proves file from a progressively shot film.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Austin
How to DELIVER an interlaced proves file from a progressively shot film.
on Feb 26, 2013 at 6:17:15 pm

OK, this should be really simple. But Quicktime does not report the interlaced/progressive nature of a file so I'm finding it hard to be certain.

I want to deliver a 1920x1080 50i prores HQ file. My project has all been shot 25p and edited in a 25p timeline.

So, I dropped the edit onto a new timeline with interlaced, upper field first set in the compressor settings in the sequence's settings. Then I exported.

When I bring the file back in to FCP, it reports a field dominance of upper field first. Does that mean I have achieved what I wanted? The receiving party says that it has not been interlaced properly and I can't think what the problem is...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to DELIVER an interlaced proves file from a progressively shot film.
on Feb 26, 2013 at 6:44:03 pm

Your footage isn't interlaced...and never will be when going from 25p to 50i. There are no fields to blend.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Feb 26, 2013 at 7:20:58 pm

You did it correctly. Your exported file should be interlaced. You won't be able to see this, since each frame is made up of two identical fields, but that is what you wanted. Your receiving party may not be aware that your source wasn't interlaced to begin with, as Shane alluded to, but the file should be fine in their workflow if they interpret it as upper field first.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 26, 2013 at 8:14:43 pm

So, a difference that MAKES no difference... IS no difference ? :-)

Return to posts index

Dave Austin
on Feb 26, 2013 at 8:32:33 pm

Thanks. I'm not sure why they don't like my "conversion". Perhaps they are looking for interlaced 50 field motion, which of course they will not see. I will let them know that the "look" is supposed to be 25 frame progressive. Since the TV broadcast chain is all interlaced - that is why it is a delivery requirement despite 25p acquisition. Also, it's worth noting that graphics and rolling credits look smoother interlaced.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:02:58 pm

I prefer to use a 50i sequence if it being delivered as i for broadcasters. As mentioned, this allows for smoother credit rolls. Perhaps the broadcaster is seeing the lack of interlace on credits.

You can duplicate your final sequence and change it to interlaced upper. There will be no visible difference on the pictures. Depending on how you did your original credits, you may have to make some adjustment to make the roll interlaced.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:43:40 am

[Dave Austin] "So, I dropped the edit onto a new timeline with interlaced, upper field first set in the compressor settings in the sequence's settings. Then I exported."
Is OK.
The footage will still look Progressive (because is so) but your movie is interlaced as they asked.
rafael

Return to posts index

Dave Austin
on Feb 27, 2013 at 2:01:06 pm

Thanks for the input everybody - turns out that the reason they didn't like my file was because the receiving guy was expecting to actually see 50i type motion. When I explained it was shot progressively but delivered as an interlaced file he started liking my file!

It seems more straight forward in the tape world - over here everything is delivered "i" regardless of how it was shot.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 28, 2013 at 3:06:18 am

[Dave Austin] "It seems more straight forward in the tape world - over here everything is delivered "i" regardless of how it was shot."
Not only over there.
1080 is always delivered as 1080i. Is the standard.
When your stuff is Progressive, then is called PSF (Progressive segmented frame). Frames are streamed field by field as they where Interlaced.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]