FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you apply Garageband filters to FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Oxley
Can you apply Garageband filters to FCP7?
on Feb 26, 2013 at 2:06:04 pm

Hello. I have a choir live performance video, and I find Garageband's reverb (the Live Performance) filter far better sounding than any of FCP's audio filters. But because Garageband only exports AIFF files and all the audio files on my timeline are WAVs, I get constant sync issues if I try to export from FCP into Garageband and back again. I have tried using iTunes to convert back to a WAV from Garageband, but still there are sync issues once the file is back in FCP.

Is there any way of applying a Garageband audio filter directly onto a FCP project?
If there is, I'll be a very happy man.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Can you apply Garageband filters to FCP7?
on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:53:07 pm

I think all the filters Garage band has are also accessible in Soundtrack pro, but don't quote me: maybe go pole around and try that, though.

Not sure why you started your project using WAV audio in the first place. The export/import trick was the first thing I was going to suggest, until you said it didn't work for you. Perhaps try transcoding a short sample using compressor or mpeg streamclip, see if that's still a problem.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 26, 2013 at 9:40:52 pm

I'm with Mark: since the source audio is in WAV -- and the Apple applications like AIFF much better -- I'm surprised that you didn't convert the WAVs to AIFFs before editing even started. 48 kHz / 16 bit is preferred, and should be used.

Why leave yourself vulnerable to problems later when you can solve them from the very beginning?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy Oxley
on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:33:25 am

Well, because it's never been a problem before and you live and learn!

I wasn't aware there was any difference between WAVs and AIFFs, and since my Zoom recorder has always recorded in WAVs and everything has always synced up with no problem, that has been my way of working. But thanks for the advice, I shall convert to AIFFs if I ever think I'll want to use Garageband effects.

Out of interest, and for future use, is there any particular reason why AIFFs are preferable?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 27, 2013 at 6:19:12 pm

FCP Legacy is a 32-bit application, and it's not too tough to push the software to its limit. Thus, I like to make it as easy as possible for FCP to work with footage as I can. I transcode to a limited number of tried and true video codecs. I never use other video codecs.

And since Apple originated AIFF, and since FCP likes audio files at 48 kHz and 16 or 24 bits, that's what I use.

It's not exactly iron-clad truth, but I find that it works.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]