FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimum settings for multi-format workflows FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabio Basone
Optimum settings for multi-format workflows FCP
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:52:14 am

Hi

Can anyone help me? I have footage two lots of footage I want to work with in FCP 7.

One batch is 1440x1080p .mov @ 25fps in Apple Intermediate Codec

The other (unfortunately) is 1280x720 AVI @ 24fps in Apple OpenDML Jpeg

Obviously I want to preserve the best quality. What are people's recommended workflows?

Am i better off upscaling / converting the the 1280x720 footage in Mpeg Streamclip to match the other footage or vice versa.

Do i need to re-sample the resolution at all, as they're both 16:9 natively? Could i work with 1280x720 and 1440x1080 (assuming i've converted both to the same .mov format) on the same timeline and then exporting?

Any advice much appreciated

Fabio

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Optimum settings for multi-format workflows FCP
on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:09:54 pm

[Fabio Basone] "Do i need to re-sample the resolution at all, as they're both 16:9 natively? Could i work with 1280x720 and 1440x1080 (assuming i've converted both to the same .mov format) on the same timeline and then exporting?"

First of all, your 1440x1080 is not native 16x9, it is an anamorphic format ->16:9 in a 4:3 container, whereas the 1280x720 is. Conflict right away.

Final Cut Pro 7 will not be happy with either the AIC or the AVI, so re-scaling up or down is what you will want to do, while you get the media into some kind of intra-format that will let you edit without a lot of renders and beach balls. What is your final destination format? That will determine which direction to go.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Optimum settings for multi-format workflows FCP
on Feb 26, 2013 at 5:30:46 pm

AIC is fine...that's the Apple Intermediate Codec. Not as good a ProRes, it was a stop-gap codec for when HDV was released. Also happens to be the codec iMovie uses for HD. It will work fine in FCP.

But the AVI will have to be converted to ProRes 422. And then you need to use a ProRes sequence setting...but settle on 720p or 1080i for size. Personally, if this is for the web or DVD, I'd aim for 720p

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]