FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting WMV files - trouble with file sizes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Boyce-Campbell
Converting WMV files - trouble with file sizes
on Feb 26, 2013 at 8:14:32 am

Hi -
I have a client who has recorded a webinar in wmv (HD) format. They want me to edit it and then spit it out for their intranet in a format that will work across multiple platforms and won't require any special software to run. Apparently they are having problems with wmv files. Trouble is that their intranet only takes files up to 25MB, the webinar is 25 mins long, and I don't know of any file type that will compress that small without serious quality issues (the content is a software demo so it does need a certain amount of definition).
I have used mpeg streamclip to convert the file to mov, but the file goes from 37MB to 27GB!!!
So my questions are:
What type of file conversion/compression shall I use to bring into Final Cut, and what kind of file should I export in?
I generally export quicktimes for clients, but have never had to contend with such a small file size limit before
Thanks to anyone who can understand the problem and might have a solution!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Converting WMV files - trouble with file sizes
on Feb 26, 2013 at 9:51:25 pm

I'd use Compressor to transcode the files to quicktime movies in the H.264 codec. They're pretty much universal.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Heather Brown
on May 23, 2013 at 1:26:27 am

Did you ever get this workflow figured out? I have 30min presentations that need to be around 30MB WMVs..

Return to posts index

Kim Boyce-Campbell
on May 23, 2013 at 10:06:01 am

I purchased flip4mac initially to convert back into wmv, but that was entirely unsatisfactory.
I ended up converting to mov using Quicktime conversion after many time-consuming test renders...
I played around with the presets and variations and managed to get within the file size limit, but I wouldn't say it was that great. The text on screen was just readable but certainly not as clear as the original wmv files.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 23, 2013 at 1:37:46 pm

As Kim states, it won't look good. A 1 MB/min data rate is EXTREMELY low. That's about 17 Kilobytes per SECOND! A somewhat-passable mono mp3 AUDIO file is 64 Kilobytes per second.

Any time you compress something, you're throwing away information. In your case, you're throwing away a boatload of it. Something's got to give, and it's most apparent in image quality.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]