FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pillarboxing question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan young
Pillarboxing question
on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:12:02 am

I have a client who wants a HD video down converted to SD, I can do that but he insist that it is pillarboxed (black on right and left) he needs this for some custom player he will be using on his website.
This is what he wants me to convert the HD video to..
640 x 360 at 1200 Kbps
854 x 480 (Standard Definition) at 2135 Kbps

how can I convert this to SD with Pillar box (4:3) and maintain aspect ratio?

I tried in compressor and in Quicktime conversion, no luck, I know if it was SD footage and he wanted it Pillarboxed I could just take it into a HD or 16:9 timeline and then you could have the pillarbox but is there a way to take HD footage to SD and do this?
thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Pillarboxing question
on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:26:23 am

That makes no much sense.
When you convert HD to SD, the SD will be 16x9 (640x360, 854x480).
If you put that on a 4x3 window it will result letter-boxed. If you want the picture pillar-boxed you will have to crop the image.
rafael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:29:51 am

I'm with Raf...this doesn't make sense. Pillarbox is when you take 4:3 and put it into a 16:9 frame without blowing up the image...you get the black pillars on either side. LETTERBOXING is when you put 16:9 into a 4:3 SD frame...the black bars on the top and bottom...like you see with rented movies.

Is that what he means? Terminology is everything.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

jonathan young
on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:49:10 am

No he said no letter box (black on top and bottom) I told him what he wants cant be done, I just wanted to double check, he is acting like I don't know what im talking about and he thinks it can be done.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:31:31 am

Well, your HD movie will fit on the frames he told you without need of any black band around.
If he want them, you have to crop the picture to make the sides black bars.

If he want a 4 x 3 picture on a 16 x 9 frame with Pillar box, you need the picture to be 480 x 360 on the 640x360 frame.
480 is the 75% of 640, so you have to crop a 25% of the picture. 12.5% at each side.

You will have to crop the same if you work with a 854x480 frame.
rafael

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 26, 2013 at 4:03:53 pm

I'm with raf and shane, but what might be closer to the truf is maybe what your client wants is a "wide screen" (which is what you're going to get at 853x480, the math is 1.777777, or 16x9) 4x3 "center cut", which will throw away the left and right sides of the picture, the portions lying outside the normal aspect ratio 4:3.

Why someone would want to do this is the other question... but its a crazy old world.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 26, 2013 at 9:34:30 pm

The client needs to learn how to do arithmetic.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]