FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam in FCP 7 with multiple clips in each track...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris trainor
Multicam in FCP 7 with multiple clips in each track...
on Feb 24, 2013 at 1:34:16 am

Not sure if I have titled this as accurately as possible, but here is my challenge.

We recently shot a concert, I ran the main camera (XDCAM), set at back of house, hooked to the soundboard.

There were two other photographers roaming the venue with DSLR's getting different angles.

I converted everything to PRORES PROXY, and brought into FCP. I used PluralEyes to sync everything together. It created a sequence, but I don't know if this matters or not.

Alas, here is my question:

Every time I have done multicam editing in FCP, the photogs didn't start and stop their cameras. However, on this one, they did. This presents a problem, bc FCP wants to turn each clip into an angle, instead of keeping the multiple angles on the timeline in the corresponding track.

Does this make sense? When I tell FCP to create multiclip, it gives me dozens of angles in the preview window, instead of the 3 tracks I am working with. Not sure if this makes sense, so I have a copy of my timeline so you can see what I am talking about.....I am going to attempt to attach it, but not sure how it works. But tracks 2 and 3 are the problem, and the corresponding footage that goes with it.

5518_screenshot20130223at7.19.48pm.png.zip

I thought a quick solution would be to re-render each track into one, thereby eliminating the gaps in time during each track, and theoretically that would work, but then when I export using the non proxy prores, it would mess it all up since the file names would no longer match.

Is there a way to make this work?

I hope I have done a reasonably decent job of explaining my challenge.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Multicam in FCP 7 with multiple clips in each track...
on Feb 24, 2013 at 4:09:45 am

When you have cameras that have started and stopped...you can not use FCP's MULTICLIP workflow. Not unless you import everything full res, use PLURALEYES to sync everything, then export each track as a new self contained QT file, and bring that back in. Knowing that there is now now way to reference the original footage, and that those exports are your new masters.

So you either have to edit them stacked in a sequence...do the above...or use FCP-X because it's multiclip sequence allows for these type of situation. although a friend of mine tried to use Pluraleyes in FCX and make a multiclip and it did weird things.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ivan Yousif
on Apr 3, 2013 at 8:57:36 pm

I'm having the same issue as described and it's very frustrating. I hate FCPX and have been working FCP7 since day 1. If anyone has a fix, please share.

Return to posts index

chris trainor
on Apr 3, 2013 at 9:21:05 pm

I did what Shane suggested (I think) and just rendered each track out again, and they became the new masters. HDD's fill up quickly when you have multiple copies of the same thing, and it starts to get confusing, but that is ultimately how I was able to cut the project.

Return to posts index

Ivan Yousif
on Apr 3, 2013 at 9:39:18 pm

Not a good work around but I guess it works. I've decided not to use any longer until there is a real fix for this issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]