FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color-grading Documentary Film with an extreme diversity of clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vincent lee
Color-grading Documentary Film with an extreme diversity of clips
on Feb 23, 2013 at 12:11:57 pm

Hi there, I am at the color grading stage and have been for a while, I am finding this stage difficult as I have really mixed footage..

some is in low light conditions with some noise, some is lower resolution, some is outside in the bright sun, some is a bit over exposed, some is unbelievably clear and defined and some is a bit blurred because its on the move, some in inside with lots of artificial lighting, different locations etc etc...

The thing is when I have looked at tutorials and guide, it is always aimed at fiction film makers or people editing for simple promo footage.. not documentary, that has no narrative and has really uncontrolled varied footage. So I am unsure if the same rules apply.. for example do the clips have to match in color and style? if they require some kind of color theme, how do I achieve this?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Color-grading Documentary Film with an extreme diversity of clips
on Feb 25, 2013 at 4:55:49 am

I wouldn't try to get them to match...because they each have a different look. I mean, I guess I might try to get them close...in terms of blacks and highlights, but not the colors. Like this project I am on now...it has 16mm film transfers, super 8mm transfers, video from 3/4", betaSP...other 80's and 70's tape formats. mixed in with DV (the main format) and some Canon DSLR. Now, I'm trying to get the current day footage, DV and Canon, close, but there is no way I'm going to get the film to match the video. So I just try to make them look the best that I can, for their given format.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]