FORUMS: list search recent posts

I edited a 20 min episode in H.264...export looks crappy. HALP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Casucci
I edited a 20 min episode in H.264...export looks crappy. HALP
on Feb 23, 2013 at 3:27:37 am

Hey guys so, I edited footage filmed on a canon DSLR (not sure which model. could be t3i, or 5D mk3, the producer has both) Here's the footage info:1920x1080, Linear PCM, bit rate 66,493, 24p. So my FCP 7 system was lagging, so I turned down all the playback settings in preferences and settings.

I'm running on a 4 year old iMac. 3.06 Ghz core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM.a

So I did all my work and the project was a little laggy but it worked. Now I'm trying to export and I've tried a few different options. File-Export-Quicktime conversion, then change the settings to 10,00 bit rate, and backt 1920x1080, I also tried going out to ProRes LT and it looked the best. Its artifacty, and crummy, and I don't want to turn it in like this. I want the crispness it deserves.

Anyone know why it's not looking good on the way out? Also if there's a link that could help please share. I tried digging but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
Re: I edited a 20 min episode in H.264...export looks crappy. HALP
on Feb 23, 2013 at 4:23:24 am

Not sure if you did this first, but...
You need to use MPEG Streamclip or 5DtoRGB to convert your footage.
I use those free apps above and convert to Apple ProRes LT or just ProRes.
Then make a new sequence and match those settings.
Then edit.
When you drop your footage into your timeline, you should not have to render or optimize it, etc.

FCP does not do well with native H.264 straight into the timeline, hence why just about everyone uses MPEG Streamclip. I just started to use 5DtoRGB and prefer it. Both are free.

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Nick Casucci
on Feb 23, 2013 at 4:58:16 am

No, I did not. I edited the footage in a timeline sequence formatted to H.264.

My understanding was that converting it to ProRes was to make it easier on your system because the files are so huge. But I did not think it would affect the quality of my my export. Am I wrong?

Is that what you mean about FCP not "doing well" with native H.264? Does FC just make H.264 footage look crappy?

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
on Feb 23, 2013 at 6:05:31 am

My suggestion would be to convert the footage to ProRes or ProRes LT, then import that footage into FCP.
But yeah, technically your footage shouldn't look crappier, it should just make it more or less have issues with playback, etc.
I think H.264 has a GOP structure and FCP has an issue with the "I" frames or something to that effect. I could be way off on that, but i have always learned to just never put a H.264 file into the timeline.
Whether that was shot on a 5D, T2i, GoPro, etc.
Convert it first, then import the new files. I personally use ProRes LT for most of my stuff.
Then when you make a new sequence in FCP, choose a ProRes LT sequence.
Sometimes you need to change a few settings here and there in your sequence settings too.
Just depends on what your original footage was shot at.
When you drag a file into your timeline, you should not have to render or "optimize" the file.
That is when you know your sequence settings match your footage.

So... when you say you make a sequence in H.264, what exact codec are you choosing?
When i make a new sequence, it brings up a prompt with Apple Intermediate Codec, All the Pro Res codecs, DV NTSC, DV PAL, DV50, DVCPROHD, HDV, IMX, Uncompressed, XDCAM codecs, etc.

Let me know.

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 23, 2013 at 9:15:21 am

You know what you have to do next time.
Now that you have your sequence fully edited, open the Sequence Setting and instead of H264 set Prores.
In the render options, set "Render YUV 8b", or better, "Render in High Precision YUV".
Export QT, NO QT CONVERSION.
Then use whatever option (QT, Compressor, MPGStreamclip,..) to make an H262 out of your Prores master.
Set the data rate you want, Multipass and "Key-frames: AUTO".
rafael

Return to posts index

Nick Casucci
on Feb 23, 2013 at 3:26:24 pm

Thanks Rafael! I actually found this exact suggestion by digging through more of the other threads. It looks way better!

Return to posts index

Nick Casucci
on Feb 23, 2013 at 3:25:03 pm

I ended up digging around more on the forums and found some other threads. I just changed my sequence to ProRes LT and the Render options to "Render in High Precision YUV" It made the finished product look way better.

I get what I should do, I still just want to know why the H.264 looked crappy, but now that I know how to fix that situation I guess it doesn't matter!

Thanks for all the help Brian!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 24, 2013 at 1:43:10 am

Nick,
H264 is not supported by FC and you have been lucky that FC haven't crashed.
Have a look to this to learn how you have to deal with H264&co (Mp4, AVCHD,..) in fc:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1
rafael

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 25, 2013 at 1:53:39 pm

[Nick Casucci] "Does FC just make H.264 footage look crappy?"

FCP does not do this. H.264 is NOT an editing codec.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]