FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to export and edit simultaneously?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sum Choi
Is it possible to export and edit simultaneously?
on Feb 22, 2013 at 10:54:50 pm

I edit from home sometimes and sometimes the director/client wants me to keep them updated with my progress. I was wondering if I can continue editing while FCP7 is exporting the file in the background.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
No.
on Feb 22, 2013 at 11:00:02 pm

Sorry. I don't know of any off-the-shelf editing application that's capable of doing that. You might want to look at some of Autodesk's software offerings.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Send to Compressor
on Feb 22, 2013 at 11:48:06 pm

You can use the Send to Compressor command to send a timeline to Compressor for exporting and that will allow you to continue editing in FCP.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Send to Compressor
on Feb 22, 2013 at 11:54:11 pm

I suppose it's possible, but in my experience Send To Compressor isn't exactly the most reliable process in the world. I don't know of anyone who counts on it day-to-day.

It wouldn't be the first time a software developer overpromised. For years, Adobe said After Effects was capable of Open GL acceleration of rendering. It was pitiful, and rarely worked as promised.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 23, 2013 at 12:09:53 am

I used to use it somewhat frequently and while it did crash a few times my experience overall was good. And since the OP already has it why not give it a go?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 23, 2013 at 12:33:25 am

[Andrew Kimery] "...since the OP already has it why not give it a go?"

Yeah, I don't envision impending doom as long as the OP understands that Send To Compressor isn't bulletproof.... which is now done.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 23, 2013 at 12:55:30 am

is send to compressor still an export option?
the newer "Share" function can do more and from memory has a better interface.

Return to posts index

Marla Singer
on Feb 23, 2013 at 2:04:29 am

In order to loose the least amount of time, what I usually do is to export a reference movie (not self-contained), which doesn't take as long, and then convert it using compressor while I keep editing. I found it to be the fastest way to keep working while still delivering to the client. The compressor stage is to make the file self-contained so that it would open on any other computer, regardless it has the raw footage you have on the timeline.

Hope it's usefull!!

Regards!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: No.
on Feb 23, 2013 at 2:35:44 am

There's FCP X, that does it natively in the app, or FCP 7 that does it via share, send to compressor, and I think batch export.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Feb 23, 2013 at 3:41:37 pm

Was just going to say that! X does this and does it well. Hate it if you like, but until you really use it for a few important edits and fully embrace it, you just don't understand how well it really works.

Hey, I'm still using Legacy, Pr, Avid a little bit...but I really like using FCP X and have used it more and more. Especially with all the plugins available and using Motion to create transitions, effects, and titles that are published into X to use over and over again.

It's really about choice, and I'm glad we have many. But you may find that it's at least worth a good try with it.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Feb 23, 2013 at 3:42:47 pm

Meant to say I use legacy more than any other...and Pr and Avid a little bit.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]