FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitors for editing video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Beeson
Monitors for editing video
on Feb 22, 2013 at 6:54:11 am

So what's best 2013 computer monitor to go with Mac Pro editing video? 27"-30", best for video editing, color grading and playback of hd footage...and can it ever be used as a less expensive substitute for a color grading monitor, and not have to buy say a Flanders scientific type monitor as well.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Monitors for editing video
on Feb 22, 2013 at 8:05:10 am

Well, there's the HP DreamColor. But those are $2500-$3000 each. Those are the only one's I'd trust for color correction.

Computer displays are just that...displays. And it isn't only the monitors that you need to worry about...it's how the image is shown on them. The FCP interface...Viewer and Canvas...don't show you a full quality image that you can grade to. Nor does the COLOR viewer. Avid's interface is WAY off. The only way to get a good video signal to a monitor for grading is via a video IO card or device. And most computer monitors, other than the HP, aren't designed for this kind of work.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Feb 22, 2013 at 3:48:31 pm

Thanks so much Shane - so actually if I did get a Dreamcolor wouldn't that kill 2 birds so to speak, I'd have a great display as well as a good color grader? Would I still have to run a cable out of say an intensity pro HDMI card into the Dream Color to grade/color correct or could I trust the monitor as it is, hooked up to my mac pro?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:57:35 pm

I'd send it a video signal via IO device...rather than something from the graphics card. HDMI from Decklink or AJA.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:59:01 pm

Great - thanks

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 22, 2013 at 11:52:16 pm

The Dream Color can work but with stipulations. Allan T├ępper has written extensively about the Dream Color and what steps need to be taken to ensure that the proper signal (progressive and RGB) gets to the monitor so it performs as desired. If you are considering using a Dream Color as a replacement for a broadcast monitor I suggest reading up on Allan's findings.

http://provideocoalition.com/atepper/story/hp_dreamcolor_mac_connectivity_a...

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Feb 26, 2013 at 7:53:16 am

Actually, if your computer is having thunderbolt and you look for an inexpensive solution for connecting the monitor, maybe get an Aja T-Tap.

Greetz,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Feb 26, 2013 at 5:03:43 pm

Good helpful info - thanks to all

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved