FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 workflow slowdown

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Snyder
FCP 7 workflow slowdown
on Feb 21, 2013 at 5:54:21 pm

Working in FCP7 on an iMac, I'm almost finished a week's worth editing a 3 minute video in DVCPROHD 1080pA24. Suddenly, yesterday, everything slowed down. Examples: whenever I switched from viewing on the Canvas to fullscreen and back again, I get the spinning beachball for at least 25 seconds and the message, "Preparing Video for Display"; whenever I shift a video clip in the timeline, the same thing happens. Needless to say, this makes the workflow almost impossible. Luckily, I'm almost finished the project but there maybe revisions and I dread going through this again.
I've checked my other FCP projects and this isn't happening.
Does anyone know what could be causing this slowdown and what I could do to fix it? What opening another project and dragging my sequence and select take bins into it do that?

Phil

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
Re: FCP 7 workflow slowdown
on Feb 21, 2013 at 9:21:31 pm

Are your other projects that load/play fine in DVCPROHD 1080p as well?
Have you done other projects similar to this?
Do you have tons of effects or processor/RAM intensive things going on?
What are your drive speeds? Working off internals or external drives?
What iMac and what processor, etc?

For a 3 minute video, you should have no problems unless your iMac is very old and you are using some very processor intensive procedures.

Let us know,
Stoker

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Phil Snyder
on Feb 21, 2013 at 10:18:02 pm

"Are your other projects that load/play fine in DVCPROHD 1080p as well?" Yes.

"Have you done other projects similar to this?" Yes.

"Do you have tons of effects or processor/RAM intensive things going on?" Not really. Just some titles and one composite that is 4 layers and one that is two.

"What are your drive speeds? Working off internals or external drives? WD 6 TB Firewire external drive 800 MB/sec.-used only 25 GB. 1 TB internal HD-used only 76 GB.

"What iMac and what processor, etc?" 27" iMac (mid 2011) 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7, 20 GB RAM

It's not big or complicated project. Maybe rendering will help.

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
on Feb 22, 2013 at 2:03:47 am

I was going to say delete your renders and try again. Looks like you havent even rendered yet.
Technically, you shouldn't be having an issue, but you are.
So not sure.
I have only gotten that preparing video for display when i first load up a project with like a billion photos in it or just a massive project.
Have you checked your Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder?
Maybe something else is going on?
Have you tried all the basic stuff like restart, trash prefs, etc.
That used to work back in the day with FCP.
I have had a good running system for a while now so it is sort of hard to diagnose problems cause i rarely have them anymore.
Sorry i cant be more of help.

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Phil Snyder
on Feb 22, 2013 at 2:15:16 am

I just rendered everything and it made no difference. And yes, I trashed preferences, etc. I did check the Activity Folder and it seemed fine. I just installed 16 extra GB of RAM but of course FCP uses only 4.
Never had this before either.

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
on Feb 22, 2013 at 2:40:27 am

Just curious, i know you said DVCHD but is it just footage or do you have a bunch of photos in the sequence too? If so what resolution are the photos?

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Phil Snyder
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:35:51 am

It's footage shot with the Panasonic HVX-200A.

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:54:26 am

Maybe another stupid question, but the footage doesn't need to be rendered when dropped into the sequence, right? Make sure the footage settings match the sequence setting exactly.
I saw some orange in the sequence. Maybe you had some effects on the clip or something.

The sequence settings are DVCPROHD? Footage as well?
No photos that are like 6000 x 4000, etc. I always downscale my photos in a batch if they are huge like that. I hate when FCP tries to match my photos or footage to the sequence, etc. (I have always disliked any warning signs that FCP gives you when editing whether it be data rate warning or anything)

Try using MPEG Streamclip or 5DtoRGB for your footage and export it to Apple ProRes LT or something similar and see how that works in a new sequence, maybe?

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Phil Snyder
on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:13:26 am

I used CS Lock & Load (scene stabilizer) and Magic Bullet on some scenes. But that would cause this.

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
on Feb 22, 2013 at 3:42:33 pm

I am not sure about the CS Lock and Load, but i have had Magic Bullet Looks do some weird stuff on me actually quite recent. Not sure to your extent though with the beach ball for 25 sec, etc.
But try turning that stuff off and get back to just your normal footage and try to see what it does.
Take off any effects, delete renders, and make sure all of your footage never needs to be rendered when dropped in the timeline.

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Phil Snyder
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:18:44 pm

So I copied the sequence into a new project, removed all the Lock & Load effects. Still had the problem. Then, I took a bunch of scenes, made a quick random assembly from scratch, applied L & L to about half of them and nothing bad happened. It played beautifully without any hesitation. I'm flummoxed. Go figure.

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:36:17 pm

Well it sounds like something with the lock and load. I have always disliked any of those post production stabilizers. I am not sure how in depth your project is but try and do a quick re edit without lock and load. Is it absolutely necessary to have it, is your footage really shaky? Try the one for final cut stabilization, i forgot the name of it off hand.

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Phil Snyder
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:44:24 pm

Well, the film is done and looks great. L&L did a great job of stabilizing the scenes but I think somehow corrupted the sequence. Smoothcam in FCP 6 was terrific but does not work in FCP 7. That's how I came to L&L.
I did the re-edit w/o L&L and it was fine, played beautifully.
As another test, I put it back into another copy of the sequence and this time, there was no problem. Weird. I'm flummoxed and going to write to Coremelt.

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:28:21 pm

Glad to see you fixed it. Like i said i always couldn't stand those post productions stabilizers. If the shot was that bad, then just re shoot or dont use the shot.

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Phil Snyder
on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:30:56 pm

I still don't understand why it did what it did.

Return to posts index

Brian Stokes
on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:37:54 pm

Probably just eating up too much of your system. That is the only thing i can think of. Usually whenever in the past when i have ever had problems like that, i just sort of start all over from scratch like how you did. That usually fixes it. But depending on how in depth the project is, that can be a nightmare sometimes.

iStoker.net

Return to posts index

Phil Snyder
on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:55:01 pm

Yes, it may be very processor intense. I don't know.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 23, 2013 at 1:11:47 am

what other apps are open?

Safari can chew up ram if left open for a long time.

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Feb 24, 2013 at 1:19:36 am

When FCP says "Preparing video for display" it doesn't actually means video. It means it needs time to redraw the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]