FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR shoot, too much footage for 1TB HDD with conversion to ProRes 422... What can I do?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierre-Luc Miville
DSLR shoot, too much footage for 1TB HDD with conversion to ProRes 422... What can I do?
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:42:34 am

Hello all!

I am shooting this corporate video with 2 canon 5D mark II. In one day, we shot for 70GB of rushes in H264. When converting to appleprores, it gets to a total of 275GB more or less.
The problem is I still have 6 days of shoot left and I don't want to buy extra hard drives since the data has to be in 3 separate places simultaneously (3 mirror drives technically).

I was thinking of exporting in AppleProRes (Proxy) to make an offline edit, but then I don't know how to export to an online edit with AppleProRes (normal) connected to only the specific clips used in the final edit.

Would any of you know how I could do that or have any other possible method?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: DSLR shoot, too much footage for 1TB HDD with conversion to ProRes 422... What can I do?
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:22:29 am

This method...but be DARN SURE not to change the location of the originals after you use L&T:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

Or...get a different editing application. Adobe Premiere Pro will edit this format natively.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc Miville
Re: DSLR shoot, too much footage for 1TB HDD with conversion to ProRes 422... What can I do?
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:55:22 am

Thank you very much Shane, yes I watched this video while investigating. One problem I faced is that my media manager only transferred the h264 .mov files (not the .thm and other files)
Therefore, Log and transfer won't accept the media location. I could arrange that for the next shooting days but it would be a pain to manage with a huge load of video not functionning.

I personnally don't mind editing in Premiere Pro CS6 but my co-editors are scared/disgusted of the program. But they never tried it and they should..!

What I figured out is I will simply use the ProRes LT codec, which I calculated will be just enough to fit in and still have a decent quality for web distribution.

If anyone thinks of anything else it could help..!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 20, 2013 at 6:04:25 am

LT is a good option.

Now slap your DIT (Digital Intermediate Technician) and set him straight.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc Miville
on Feb 20, 2013 at 6:07:26 am

Haha will do!

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 20, 2013 at 6:00:00 pm

Luckily, you can buy a USB 500 Gig Drive for under 80 bucks now. Even though you need 2 more drives, if that's what is needed, then it is part of what you need to charge for in the future.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:11:13 pm

Pierre-Luc, is there any reason why you're converting the files to ProRes as you go along? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but couldn't you share your files as shot in h264 and have the other editors convert them as needed?

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc Miville
on Feb 20, 2013 at 10:30:53 pm

Thank you Brent for the advice, will surely do.

Mike, this is a good question. The thing is I will start the editing for them, manage the great quantities of footage and organize them according to their respective videos (each of my editors will edit seperate videos from many interviews). In order for them to have the right footage and not look over hours of unnecessary footage, all wil be organized.

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Feb 20, 2013 at 10:54:55 pm

That sounds like an incredible amount of work for one person to take on!! I don't envy you at all. Would it be possible to just convert your selects? I don't know what system you're editing in but if it's FCP then log and transfer with the EOS plugin is pretty easy. I'm sure you know about that already. And in FCPX or PPro you can edit the native h264 files and just export as ProRes from the timeline - and I'm sure you know all about that, too.
I wish I could be more help. Good luck!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]