FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text quality Vector + Title 3D

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria Meredith
Text quality Vector + Title 3D
on Feb 18, 2013 at 1:33:23 pm

Hi

I have a Pro Res sequence that contains video (1440 x 1080 HDV), overlaid with text captions (Boris Title 3D) and some logos (Photoshop layered PSD).

This all looks great in FCP and great when exported to a full quality .mov but I need to play the final output from a DVD onto a big screen, I know some loss of quality is unavoidable here (HD to SD) but at the moment the moving images look great and all the text elements are ghosting slightly.

Is there a good work flow to maintain crisp text on my DVD playback?

Many thanks in advance.

M

Macbook Pro / OSX 10.6.4 / 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Text quality Vector + Title 3D
on Feb 18, 2013 at 4:26:20 pm

HDV uses non square pixels. Thats why its 1440 x 1080. The edit system should automatically stretch HDV to fill the 1920 x 1080 frame.

If you work in a Pro Res sequence set to normal 1080i dimensions, 1920 x 1080, with square pixels, the HDV video should resize accordingly and not appear squeezed.

You then make your graphics with square pixels at 1920 x 1080...not 1440 x 1080. Everything should appear clean.

Then you down convert for DVD. Things should improve with this workflow.

Return to posts index

Maria Meredith
on Feb 18, 2013 at 6:21:55 pm

Hi

Thanks for your response, I tried reducing the frame size of the graphics (created by someone else) in Photoshop first but as they're not exactly 16:9 I couldn't get exactly 1920 x 1080. I'll try to do that with some cropping though.

Thanks again,

M

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 18, 2013 at 7:50:06 pm

[Maria Meredith] "I have a Pro Res sequence that contains video (1440 x 1080 HDV), overlaid with text captions (Boris Title 3D) and some logos (Photoshop layered PSD).

This all looks great in FCP and great when exported to a full quality .mov but I need to play the final output from a DVD onto a big screen... the moving images look great and all the text elements are ghosting slightly."

There are a lot of unanswered questions here:
  • Frame Rate?
  • Progressive or Interlaced?
  • 16x9 or 4x3 on the DVD?
  • DVD playback device displaying the ghosting?
  • What will the ultimate playback device be?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Maria Meredith
on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:33:25 pm

Hi

Here are the details you asked about:

Frame Rate? 25fps
Progressive or Interlaced? Recorded 1440 x 1080 HDV 50i.
16x9 or 4x3 on the DVD? 16:9.
DVD playback device displaying the ghosting? Sony Bluray DVD player via 2K digital projector.

What will the ultimate playback device be? As above.

Does this clarify where my issue lie at all? Many thanks,

M

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:44:15 pm

Everything looks fine. It could only be a couple of things.

How does the DVD (not Blu-Ray, but DVD) look when you play it in a DVD player on a standard-definition TV set?

What is your more detailed and more descriptive definition of the term, "ghosting"?

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Maria Meredith
on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:55:03 pm

Hi

I just played the DVD in an old DVD player on a CRT TV and it looks good, not as crisp as the Pro Res QT's but ok.

The ghosting is more than just the expected jagged edge text, it looks as though there is noise around the lettering of the title 3D text and the vector logos.

M

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 18, 2013 at 11:11:23 pm

Thanks for the better description.

Combined with your observations in SD, I'm confident in concluding that you're seeing the difference between HD in FCP and SD on a DVD which is authored in MPEG2, a notoriously lossy video codec. But for an authored DVD, MPEG2 is the only choice: it's the technical standard.

No matter how crisp they may seem, the edges of subjects in live-action footage don't even come close to the sharply-defined edges of text and graphics. You are seeing the results of a lossy codec blown up on a big HD screen.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Maria Meredith
on Feb 18, 2013 at 11:18:15 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for your input. It seems a pity that high quality work has to look less good on delivery (unfortunately the AV company who are going to run this one don't have Bluray playback). Out of interest would a Bluray DVD improve my issue with the graphics and text?

I just wanted to be absolutely certain that some innocuous setting somewhere in my SD DVD workflow was not causing my text to lose quality like this.

Thanks again.

M

FCP Studio 7.0.2

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 18, 2013 at 11:41:26 pm

[Maria Meredith] "....would a Bluray DVD improve my issue with the graphics and text?"

Yes. A Blu-Ray disk has approximately four times the resolution of a DVD, which is standard definition. The result: sharper edges, plus the benefit of a more sophisticated compression scheme than MPEG2.

I didn't do the arithmetic with a calculator, just in my head: there could be a bigger difference in resolution.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]