FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7- can't open old project file or autosaved versions-- says the file is too old, then too new.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jodi Cilley
Final Cut Pro 7- can't open old project file or autosaved versions-- says the file is too old, then too new.
on Feb 18, 2013 at 4:01:41 am

Final cut 7 geniuses.. I need your help. The weirdest thing happened and I've never seen this in almost 10 years of FCP.

I tried to open a older project file, it said that it needed to update the project to the new version of FCP I was using. When I hit OK, it tells me that the project is too new for this version of final cut. Wait, what?

Then I go back and try to open the many autosaved Project files (thinking it was corrupt). It won't open any of them and gives me the same contradicting messages.

1. I trashed preferences and restarted
2. I have final cut pro X and 7 running on this computer
3. I brought it to two other computers and it had the same exact error
4. I am using the same OS (10.6.8) and started this project in FCP 7.
5. Currently running FCP 7.0.3

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dale Larsen
Re: Final Cut Pro 7- can't open old project file or autosaved versions-- says the file is too old, then too new.
on Oct 3, 2017 at 6:21:55 pm

Hey Jodi,
I was wondering if you solved this issue as It just happened to me.

literally, projects I just saved seconds ago will not open, telling me FCP 7 can't open FCP project files.

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
Re: Final Cut Pro 7- can't open old project file or autosaved versions-- says the file is too old, then too new.
on Oct 5, 2017 at 8:18:13 am

This intrigued me because in the years that I used Final Cut I never heard of that happening. I couldn't find you a nice single easy to understand and test answer, but here's some suggestions.

• 1. The project is somehow looking for media or other materials that it needs in a path that no longer exists for whatever reason. It sounds unlikely this is your problem because you don't describe anything changing before it just stopped working, but it's the easiest one to test. The solution in the case of this problem is to make a new user account and open the project. https://joelyeaton.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/fcp-error-fixed-this-project-is...

• 2. The project has become corrupted during the last save. The original poster before you said they'd tried opening from autosave and it also did not work. You didn't specify so it's worth suggesting, try the autosave vault. Try several versions back until you find one that opens or are pretty sure it never will. Also, you hopefully have backups of the project and its vault on a different hard drive somewhere, try those.

• 3. Some errant piece of media referenced by the project has somehow become corrupted and when the project loads and connects to each individual piece of media, it fails once it reaches the dodgy one. Try the suggestions found here https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1163934 which is to find a way to prevent the media in the project being accessed, thus making it offline and hopefully allowing the project to open and for you to reconnect the media in stages until you find the offending piece. Do this by disconnecting the drive if it's on if external, or renaming the folder the media is kept in, so Final Cut 'loses' it.

• Otherwise as far as wild guesses without much to back them up, most people describing the error seemed to run in to it around the days of Mavericks, so if you're still on that version and if that somehow is the issue, updating would be a wise move anyway and it break a not opening project any further than it already is. Additionally, while making stab in the dark guesses, might be worth seeing if the file permissions on the project somehow got incorrectly set, makes no sense that they would but you can check easily so why not. Finally, when FCPx first came out it was definitely possible to run alongside FCP7, but several OS versions and FCPx versions later, maybe that changed? I haven't kept up since I don't use x, and left FCP7 a few years back. If practical, try getting rid of FCPx? Doesn't really fit that it would suddenly be a problem now when it was fine before but I don't know maybe FPCx auto updated or something?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]