FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture Now Not Capturing Entire Clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Fanjoy
Capture Now Not Capturing Entire Clip
on Feb 18, 2013 at 2:12:53 am

Hi, all. I have a condition with my Capture Now function where it does not pick up the first few seconds of a new clip when ingesting the media.

Camera: Sony Z1U
Tape-Based Format: Mini DV
Recording Condition: Record/Pause mode recording basketball games. Record 1-2 minutes at a time, pausing for dead balls, continuing with record. Intervals are short enough that record head stays locked to tape.

This might be a clue. I just discovered this happening in the last game where the timecode settings on a job were changed to time of day from record time. Not sure if the timecode break between clips jumping out of sequence would confuse FC.

Another note: Whether I Capture Now or Batch Capture (and set IN/OUT points across timecode breaks) both processes behave the same and capture the exact IN point of video a few seconds in to each clip.

Thank you!

Mark Fanjoy

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Capture Now Not Capturing Entire Clip
on Feb 18, 2013 at 2:42:21 am

if the TC changes across shots, then FCP needs to give itself some pre-roll on the breaks to allow for re-capture.

it's set to 3 seconds by default.
there is a way to drop it to less than 3 seconds, but i can't remember where it is (haven't captured from tape for a while!)
also i don't really recommend it.

if you really need to capture everything, the safe option is to DUB the tape, and make sure you generate new TC on the dub,
then capture that.

the non-safe way is to set Log & Capture to "non controllable device" and that just ignores the tapes TC.
this is not safe as you can't re-capture.

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Feb 18, 2013 at 5:39:23 am

Thanks, Nick. That explanation certainly sounds consistent with my issue. And since the timecode doesn't change from shot to shot with record time, that explains why I'm not having that issue with those tapes.

I'll try sourcing that 3 sec default setting. If anyone else knows where it is, would greatly appreciate the input.

Thanks for the alternative options to get this tape into FC.

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 18, 2013 at 6:12:16 pm

[Mark Fanjoy] "I'll try sourcing that 3 sec default setting."

You've found the "Make new clip" on timecode break in the Preferences, so now go to Audio/Video Settings and click the "Device Control Presets". Copy the current DV controller, open and edit its Preroll default down to something that doesn't sacrifice too much footage but still allows the machine to "lock" on roll.

This is a dangerous territory, as some codecs also need some time to establish a coherent data stream, and a too-short pre-roll can sometimes lead to incoherent captures -- sound out of sync with picture, etc.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Feb 18, 2013 at 6:46:47 pm

Outstanding, Joseph. Thank you!

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]