FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing with 24 fps and 60 fps in final cur pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Radonich
Editing with 24 fps and 60 fps in final cur pro 7
on Feb 17, 2013 at 2:06:08 pm

Hello all you helpful people out there.

Really need some assistant on an edit I am currently working on.

Been shooting over the weekend and have an array of footage in different fps (24 for standard and 60 which is for slow mo) and aspect ratios. The ratios are mainly 1920x1080 and 1280x720 (the later being the 60 fps stuff). And for some reason there where a few clips in 640x480 as well. Not sure why this is on the 640, and worried about getting it into the timeline without loosing its shape and quality.

I am now coming to the edit and wondering how to work with them all in the same time line. What do I need to do to get them conformed to the same aspect ratio and frame rate without compromising on the quality ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my technical are pretty weak.

Please help

Joseph

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Editing with 24 fps and 60 fps in final cur pro 7
on Feb 17, 2013 at 5:23:46 pm

What is your intended output...ultimate destination? Web? DVD? BluRay? And what resolution are you aiming for?

With the 1080 23.98 and 720p60 (that you shot for slow motion), I'd use a 1080p 23.98 ProRes timeline. The 720p footage you'll first convert to ProRes, then use Cinema Tools to conform to 23.98 for that smooth slow motion:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/slow-motion_cinema-tools/1

If you shot 720p60 with a DSLR, you can use Magic Bullet Grinder to do the conversion to ProRes, and up convert to 1080p at once, then conform with Cinema tools. But really, 720p in a 1080p sequence won't be bad at all.

The 640p...that's the rub. Depending on what you are delivering, and if there is a lot of this, I'd opt to work in a 720p 23.98 sequence...so this footage won't have to blow up quite as much. Your 720p will be full res, and 1080p will downconvert well.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joseph Radonich
Re: Editing with 24 fps and 60 fps in final cur pro 7
on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:38:57 pm

Hey Thanks a lot for the advice.

It is a music video which is intended for the use of mainly internet I would assume. But I do think they will be displaying it somewhere on a large projection, but again predominantly for online viewing.

I was thinking of using twixtor for the slow motion stuff. Is cinema tools similar ? And is it any easier ? As I said before I have little to no knowledge of the technical side of post production.

As I am working to a tight deadline I already went ahead and started making and image cut in final cut. I was intending to then take the clips I wanted to use and to the conforming I needed to after to limit my work load. Is this a sensible idea ? And how will it affect the overall work I have to do ?

Sorry I really am pretty dumb with this stuff.

Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]