FORUMS: list search recent posts

what graphics card for fcp x

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hakan ahmet
what graphics card for fcp x
on Feb 17, 2013 at 1:09:06 pm

hello all...

just went to purchase fcp x and i was indicated that my graphics card is not compatible (too old i assume). there are MANY new ones available it seems.. but hoped that someone could help suggest a graphics card that would be compatible/suitable to me??

i have a Power Mac 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 2 GB of Ram. i am not a full time professional, but a budding video enthusiast.. so need what will suit its purpose on a respectable budget.

would a graphics card with a vRam of 512 (as suggested by apple) suit my needs...or will people just say to get a card with a vRam of 1GB??

im relatively new to all this.. so go easy on me :)

thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post.. hakan

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: what graphics card for fcp x
on Feb 19, 2013 at 12:01:07 am

Here is a list of all the compatible cards, I have a Radeon HD 5770 which is a 1GIG card and works well with FCPX - check compatibility with your machine though.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4664?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

A 1 GIG card is going to help certainly.

The other thing is you need more RAM I would install as much as you can reasonably afford.

FCPX can use more RAM than the older FCP as it is 64bit so the more the merrier within reason. 8 minimum or 16 Gigs might be a good starting place.

One final thing - post your FCPX related questions in the FCPX Techniques Forum. Many more "X" users there to offer you advice, this is really the FCP7 (Legacy) forum. No worries though good luck.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

hakan ahmet
on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:22:08 pm

hi Neil, thank you very much for your time and advice...

i did find that link after posting this message and purchased the following from the recommendations:

"Asus Nvidia GeForce GT 640 Graphics Card (2GB DDR3, PCI Express 3.0, VGA, 2x DVI-D, HDMI, Nvidia 3D Vision Ready)"

it should work ok as it comes in the higher spec iMacs... so fingers crossed. it also has a vRam of 2gb, so should suit its purpose..

with regards to RAM on the machine, will it literally not work with the current 2GB i have? im not a heavy effects user...more so concentrating on crisp/clean shots on the camera and simple effective editing at the moment..

you could ask why i dont just use iMovie, but after using FCP 5 all these years...i thought iMovie was a piece of junk....there is nothing better than editing on a proper workable time line that fcp offers... which iMovie doesn't.

unfortunately fcp 5 doesn't run ProRes which i need to edit my dslr footage in, hence the upgrade in hardware and software... but im going with the changes and excited for the new set up be up and running.. :)

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Feb 21, 2013 at 1:00:34 am

Hi Haken

its not that it wont work with 2GB of RAM but that is a very small about to have these days in any event. Even FCP7 could just about muster using a shade more than 2GB
FCPX though is RAM hungry, I saw someone say it will use just about all you can thrown at it.
Apple recommend a minimum of 4 GB but if you look at this you will being a 64 bit app it can use a lot more.

I would say 8 or 16 would be ideal. Populate the top and bottom Ram holders equally would be the best config.

It will also help if you open other apps while running FCPX - 2Gigs is going to run out of steam pretty fast effects use or not.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]