FORUMS: list search recent posts

What did I do wrong? Using FCP7 to export .Mov files for iMovie

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morgan Smith
What did I do wrong? Using FCP7 to export .Mov files for iMovie
on Feb 15, 2013 at 8:38:09 pm

I don't know what went wrong here, if someone can guide me. Thanks--

I am converting some MFX files for a horse therpist's non-profit video. The therapist needed the files to be playable for iMovie- she does not have FCP.

Using my FCP7, I logged and transferred the MXF files using DVCPRO HD 720P24. I exported them in quicktime as self-contained .MOV files.

I played those files on my quicktime and iMovie 7.1.4 - it imported and played beautifully. A sample was compressed into H264 to send her, and the sample played well and looked fine on her end.

When I sent the exported .MOV files to my therapist friend, she could not play them in RealPlayer or Quicktime and the files did not import well on her iMovie11. She could get audio, but no video.

What should I do differently in FCP7 to make these files playable on iMovie? Why does it play on my computer and not hers?

One suggestion I heard was to convert the files to an iMovie-friendly codec, Apple Intermediate Codec. Another editor friend suggested I change the sequence settings to Apple ProRes HQ, bring the clips in, render, and export again.

I am going to try this- but why did the files I have work on my iMovie and not theirs?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: What did I do wrong? Using FCP7 to export .Mov files for iMovie
on Feb 15, 2013 at 8:44:53 pm

[Morgan Smith] "One suggestion I heard was to convert the files to an iMovie-friendly codec, Apple Intermediate Codec."

That's the one. You can play and import DVCPRO HD on your computer and into iMovie because you have FCP installed. the DVCPRO HD codec only comes with FCP...so people who DON'T have FCP installed cannot view the originals. You need to convert to Apple Intermediate and give them those.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Morgan Smith
on Feb 15, 2013 at 9:13:49 pm

I was referring to you when I mentioned AIC, I shoulda tried that one from the get go. Live and learn. Thanks, Shane!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 16, 2013 at 4:06:50 am

[Shane Ross] "You can play and import DVCPRO HD on your computer and into iMovie because you have FCP installed. the DVCPRO HD codec only comes with FCP...so people who DON'T have FCP installed cannot view the originals."
I think is not about FC, but about QT Pro.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]