FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Drifting with .WAV file - 23.98 vs 24?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike rakoff
Audio Drifting with .WAV file - 23.98 vs 24?
on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:44:49 pm

Hello --

I am having some audio drift issues with a few episodes on my web series. Basically we edit the episodes and then send them to a sound designer who gives back a .WAV file. On the timeline everything is In Sync, but the .WAV files are drifting on a few individual episodes.

BASICALLY --

Episode 1-3, transcoded by my editor, had no issues with drift. THOUGH Episode 4-5, transcoded by myself, are having drift issues. Slowing down the .WAV .01 seemed to do the trick for the episodes individually.

I backtracked and looked at the sequence settings. I found the only difference to be this --

Episodes 1-3 are 23.98

Episodes 4-5 are transcoded into 24fps exact.

So my assumption is this is a transcoding problem? I need to put all these episodes together in one timeline as a FEATURE FILM so I'm assuming this is going to be a nightmare sync wise. The only potential solution I could think of is possibly getting episode 4 and 5 back to 23.98 with out having to re-edit all of it. Wishful thinking?

Please help!!!

-Mike

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Audio Drifting with .WAV file - 23.98 vs 24?
on Feb 15, 2013 at 7:12:16 pm

Yes...the 23.98 and 24fps is a problem. 24fps is the BAD one (sorry.)

Tell the audio mixer that your last eps are 24fps, and to export accordingly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gavin Stokes
on Nov 13, 2014 at 7:22:18 pm

I'm having this problem in FCP 7 (our editor refuses to update), and I'm wondering where FCP is getting the info that the audio is 23.98 (the video is true 24). Is this metadata in the wav file? It seems to me that changing it to true 24 FPS should resolve the problem.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 13, 2014 at 7:43:28 pm

The EASY SETUP determines the "frame rate" of the audio imported. Because audio doesn't really have a frame rate...there are no frames in audio, only kHz ranges. 44.1, 48...etc. So if your Easy Setup is set to 29.97...when you import the audio it's flagged as 29.97. If your easy setup is 23.98, it comes in at 23.98. So you can try to choose a 24fps straight Easy Setup and then import...see what happens.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gavin Stokes
on Nov 13, 2014 at 7:48:00 pm

Thanks. As it turns out, there is indeed frame-rate metadata in a wave file. We can fix it with a free app called Wave Agent (from Sound Devices), but unfortunately the vendor's Web site is broken currently (it isn't sending the download link after you request one).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]