FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need a solution for batch syncing audio & video by timecode

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Troy Williams
Need a solution for batch syncing audio & video by timecode
on Feb 15, 2013 at 3:59:25 am

I'm looking for a way to batch sync a feature film's worth of audio and video files by timecode in preparation for editing in FCP. I can sync them one at a time, but obviously that's a pain.

Based on what hunting I've done thus far, there's only three options out there.

JamSync: Buggy. Couldn't get it to work at all.
PluralEyes: Syncs by comparing external audio to scratch audio. Unsuitable, I need sync by timecode.
Sync-N-Link: Thought this was the answer until I had a heart attack at the usurious price. I refuse to buy it on principle and I'd sooner do it manually.

Can anyone suggest a useful fourth option? You'd think an app or a plugin that simply matches numbers would be a simple thing...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Need a solution for batch syncing audio & video by timecode
on Feb 15, 2013 at 5:58:41 pm

[Troy Williams] "I can sync them one at a time, but obviously that's a pain."

Wow...really? You won't last long in Hollywood if you ever decide to come here. Assistant editors are hired to do the dull drudgery work that needs to be done. And yes, it will take time and it isn't glamorous and it is boring. If you showed up in my bay you wouldn't last long with that attitude. Film making is hard work...there are lots of things that take time. Editing...takes time.

[Troy Williams] "Can anyone suggest a useful fourth option?"

Suck it up buttercup...do it manually. If Sync N Link is too expensive (it's designed for those lazy folk who didn't sync their audio up BEFORE they started editing and when they finished, went "Hey, I need the good audio matched to this now."), and Pluraleyes doesn't do what you need...time to roll up your sleeves and do it manually.

Yes, my attitude might rub you wrong. I'm old school...but not REALLY old school. I did cut on film, but only for a very short time, I'm of the computer editing generation...but there are still simple things that need to be done manually. And I get slightly annoyed at people who are lazy looking for magic buttons to just make things work. PluralEyes is neat, and I've used it. I love it. But if you need it done in a certain way...do it right the first time. Don't be lazy...you won't go far. Editing is hard work...not like digging ditches or cleaning out porta potties...but it isn't all fun and games.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Troy Williams
on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:17:11 pm

Thank you for your constructive reply. I'll be glad to show you around at the studio I've been working at in LA for the past four years. Obviously as you may have guessed assistant editing isn't my normal job (I handle IT normally), but I'm doing what I can to assist an impoverished project.

I have no problem doing it one at a time if need be, but I thought that there'd be a simple way to do them as a batch since it's just syncing a number with another number.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:28:23 am

I haven't used this feature before so I don't know how well it works but it sounds like what you want to do. Select all the media that's within the TC range you want to work in, right click, select Make Multiclip Sequence and FCP will sync the clips based on TC. Sounds good, but like I said I've never used it so who knows what will actually happen.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 17, 2013 at 11:08:26 pm

Sync n Link is expensive, but worth it for a whole feature film's worth of material.

why this wasn't dealt with on a daily basis during the shoot is another question, i guess.

as Andrew suggested, try Make Multiclip sequences,
like him i have not used it, but it has been working for someone else i know

another option to explore is Sequence Liner from Spherico filmtools

one more idea is Resolve.
yes, the grading software.
also used for batch transcodes of rushes,
it has a function where it will match TC as it transcodes.
so you would be re-transcoding your rushes, but might be worth it?

i think shane is wrong on this one.
i mean i f i had an assistant who did everything the longest way possible, without trying to explore better options, i would be un-impressed.

you are correct, it is a simple technical issue, and there are solutions.

however you should be aware that TC is not always accurate.
you maybe should test a few clips to check it's ok.
often they will be ok at the beginning of the day, but TC may have drifted by the end.

also, Syncing the clips counts for abut a third of the work of preparing rushes for editing.
there is a fiar bit of work involved with logging the clips, andy un-married audio such as Wild lines or FX tracks,
grouping into scenes etc.

i used Sync n Link on a feature last year.
it worked well because the crew was very rigorous with their TC, (used lock-it boxes on the camera)
BUT it did skip over un-maried audio, so that had to be dealt with.

syncing manually takes me a couple of hours, and i am very experienced, and have developed QuicKeys macros that make the job a lot faster.
for some one doing ti for the first time it would take longer.
S+L takes it down to about 5 minutes, so have another think about that.

even using S+L, preparing a day's rushes took me 2Hrs at absolute top speed, and 6 hrs on the other end.

nick

Return to posts index

Steven Cohen
on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:47:42 pm

Unless I read the web sight wrong Sync-N-Link for FCP is $495.

That maybe expensive, but does not sound that outrageous considering the amount of time (and time is money) it takes someone to do it "manually"

Nick said that Sync-N-Link for FCP saved him 4hrs.
I'm not up on the pay scale for assistant editors in LA, but lets say it is $25/hr you save $100 per day.

If you are doing Dailies then the software would pay for itself in about 5 days.

I agree with Shane that people coming up in the industry today want everything handed to them and don't feel they should have to do the "grunt" work.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Matt Edwards
on Sep 23, 2014 at 7:52:29 pm

Actually if my AE came to me and asked how he/she could be more efficient? I'd hug him/her for not trying to milk the clock and make our project more efficient. Your response comes across as classic "Hollywood".

I can only imagine how you would have responded if someone asked if there was a more efficient way of cutting film a year before the first NLE software debuted. Lighten up.

FCP 7 user moving to FCP X
MacBook Pro Retina - 10.9.3

Return to posts index

Nicholas Brecken
on Aug 7, 2017 at 4:51:05 pm

Wow,

I hope no one ends up in your editing bay lol. Sounds like you have a bad attitude my friend.

Return to posts index

Rafal Dabrowski
on Sep 19, 2017 at 3:20:47 am

I'm pretty sure "Tentacle Studio Sync" would work for batch syncing with TC. Might be worth investigating

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]