FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preference Files for FCP7 are not in the Library. Where are they?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Candra Horton
Preference Files for FCP7 are not in the Library. Where are they?
on Feb 15, 2013 at 3:50:58 am

Hi all. FCP7 is consistently crashing on me and I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong. After Googling the issue, I decided to try deleting the preferences. Except there's one problem... those .plist files are nowhere to be found! Not in the Library folder, not in the Preferences folder, they just aren't there at all.

com.apple.finalcutpro.plist and the Final Cut Pro User Data Folder are not in the Preferences folder at all. I've tried searching for them, they just do not exist.

I tried deleting and re-installing FCP, but I am pretty sure I didn't do it correctly because it didn't ask me for any information (name, serial number etc.) it just started up again like nothing happened after the "install" or "upgrade" I guess.

I NEED to finish this project but I can't because FCP7 refuses to cooperate. Can anyone help me?

Here are my specs.

Macbook Pro

V 10.8.2 OSX
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Thanks~

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Preference Files for FCP7 are not in the Library. Where are they?
on Feb 15, 2013 at 4:59:57 am

The files are in the other Library folder. The one Apple decided to hide starting in 10.7 because they apparently feel like no one should be digging around in there. To access it go to the Finder menu bar->Go->Go to Folder and type in ~/Library

That will take you to the correct Library folder

Return to posts index

Candra Horton
on Feb 15, 2013 at 4:12:37 pm

I found the files, thank you. Although FCP continued to crash after trashing the preferences, so now I'm not sure what else I can do. I think it's finally time to give up the ghost aka FCP7. I don't want to keep wasting time troubleshooting when I need to be working.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 15, 2013 at 9:16:30 pm

How big is your FCP project file? Once you start approaching 100megs FCP starts getting unstable. Can you go into more detail about the crashes? What kind of media are you using? Are you using any 3rd party filters? Does it crash in all your projects or only certain projects? Have you noticed it crashing when a certain timeline is open or does it crash regardless of which timeline(s) you have open?

Have you tried creating a new timeline and copy & pasting your existing edit into that timeline? Have you tried creating a new project and copy & pasting your existing project into the new one?

Return to posts index

Candra Horton
on Feb 15, 2013 at 10:10:16 pm

The project file is not big at all. I'm working with .mov files converted from .MTS files from my Canon Vixia HF M40. I used clipwrap to convert them. The clips are on average about 25MB each, about 20 clips. NO third party filters. I've used FCP for other projects just fine in the past, but for some reason, it seems to not like this project. I'm usually messing around on the timeline, lengthening or shortening clips when it quits. Once I was working with the viewer, fast forwarding a clip and it quit. The time frame kept getting shorter and shorter. I'd be able to get in maybe 15 minutes before it quit, then it was down to about 10 then 5. I tried a new timeline AND a new project... nothing seemed to work. That's when I decided maybe it was the preferences... once I finally found the files I deleted them, then opened up FCP again.. same problem.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:17:24 am

Wow, it seems like you've covered your bases and nothing has worked.

I wonder if something odd under the hood happend when you converted the clips and that's giving FCP fits. Bad media can cause FCP to crash unfortunately the only way to find the bad media is by process of elimination.

Return to posts index

Michelle Kaufer
on Feb 11, 2014 at 8:20:56 am

Thank you ANDREW!!
You ARE A ROCKSTAR!!!

We couldn't find the Library folder for our lives and YOU saved the day!!

Thank you Thank you
Best
Michelle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]