FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting ProRes for TV - too big. Alternative?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad DeCecco
Exporting ProRes for TV - too big. Alternative?
on Feb 14, 2013 at 7:39:06 pm

So I have to deliver a 4 minute video that is full HD 1920 24p. I wanted to send the client an uncompressed file but I have to deliver it via FTP and the 5 Gb file is too large. I need it to be half that size so I can send it. What would be the best setting/least quality loss to use that would still look up to par on tv once it's re-sized overseas? Best way to shrink the file to half the size? Thanks

Return to posts index

Tyler DeWitt
Re: Exporting ProRes for TV - too big. Alternative?
on Feb 14, 2013 at 7:49:48 pm

Sorry this isn't an answer to your direct question, but I was curious if you are completely forced to use FTP? If you could use a service like Dropbox or GoogleDrive, the 5 GB file size wouldn't be a problem.

Definitely curious to see what others say about shrinking the file size as well.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2013 at 7:53:44 pm

What are they asking for, file type wise? I delivered a news package to a PBS news show and they requested a high data rate H.264 file.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brad DeCecco
on Feb 14, 2013 at 8:10:49 pm

I just don't know how to export it differently - like do i create a new sequence and copy and paste? and if so, what settings? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2013 at 8:23:01 pm

No. Export as a QT movie...self contained...using the sequence settings. Then take that into Compressor and encode to H.264. There are presets, but you might need to futz with them to make a high quality H.264. It would REALLY help to get specs from the client. They could say how to encode...what settings to use.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 14, 2013 at 9:48:45 pm

I agree with Shane. Most of the TV stations we deliver to will take a H.264.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 14, 2013 at 11:20:43 pm

[Shane Ross] "No. Export as a QT movie...self contained...using the sequence settings. Then take that into Compressor and encode to H.264. There are presets, but you might need to futz with them to make a high quality H.264. It would REALLY help to get specs from the client. They could say how to encode...what settings to use.
"

you could also do a "non self contained" export, which will give you a quictime reference file, which i usually find results in smaller files when converted to h264. user mielage may vary/

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Spencer Averick
on Feb 14, 2013 at 10:19:26 pm

Yes do what Shane says. If they don't give you exact specs, use these specs and you'll have a great looking file under 2 gigs.
-h.264 file
-frame size "1920x1080"
-frame rate "current"
-data rate "10000 Mbps"

Return to posts index

Brad DeCecco
on Feb 14, 2013 at 11:25:10 pm

Ok great thanks. I do this in FCP or compressor?

Return to posts index

Spencer Averick
on Feb 15, 2013 at 1:11:14 am

Compressor. Like Shane said below, export "Quicktime Movie" "Self Contained" from FCP. Then bring it into Compressor, slap on the h.264 setting, then make those 3 adjustments. Frame size(in Geometry tab), data rate (in encoder tab in "video settings"), change frame rate to "current"(in encoder tab in "video settings"). Then in the "summary" tab it will tell the estimated file size.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]