FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing avchd footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wilson
Importing avchd footage
on Feb 14, 2013 at 2:22:04 am

I've been flogging this issue for a couple of days and hope someone can point me to a solution.

A client has given me 60GB of avchd (m2ts) 1080 P60 footage she shot on her Panasonic consumer camera in Africa. She offloaded all the files into one big folder, not maintaining the file structure of the original folders. Software that came with her camera apparently installed a codec on her PC that allows playback in Windows Media Player. Everything looks fine to her. I can't seem to find anything similar for Mac.

FCP7 doesn't recognize the files. Adobe Premier plays back occasional still frames (perhaps the I frames?), and neither compressor nor Media Encoder know what to do with them. VLC tries to play them, but behaves much like Premier.

Ideally, I'd like to batch process everything to an Apple, edit-friendly codec to use in a project I shot in DVCPro HD 720 P25. The size and frame discrepancy are the least of my worries. Can anything import these things after the file structure is lost?

Thanks for any advice.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Importing avchd footage
on Feb 14, 2013 at 5:32:52 pm

ClipWrap2 will work for this. divergentmedia.com It doesn't need the structure, just the .MTS files will do.

It will convert to one of many codecs. The one thing you can't do is change the frame rate...except to slow the footage down (conform). So if you want the 1080p60 to run in real time as 1080p25...you don't do that with ClipWrap. You'd use Compressor after you converted the footage. But, ClipWrap2 will make the 1080p60 footage into really nice slow motion 25fps.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Feb 14, 2013 at 5:35:15 pm

Oops, sorry, just saw now, that you answered the Q already :-)

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2013 at 5:42:31 pm

The more people who say the same thing, the more it will show how good that app is.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Wilson
on Feb 14, 2013 at 5:57:02 pm

Thanks much for the advice. I'll check out clipwrap. I did find that Adobe Media Encoder does a beautiful job of quickly transcoding the m2ts file directly into a 720P 24 DVCPro HD file, but doesn't recognize the audio. I assume that information is in one of the three files associated with each m2ts in the folder.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Feb 14, 2013 at 5:33:49 pm

Try ClipWrap, it's a paid, but very efficient, fast and reliable.

Greetz.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]