FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any Clean Way of Adjusting White Balance in Post-Production?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Cathey
Any Clean Way of Adjusting White Balance in Post-Production?
on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:19:12 am

I'm shooting a project right now that has required me to shoot with a simple camcorder that has the unfortunate curse of an automatic white balance setting. I try to use a large sheet of white paper in front of the camera before a shot to sync the white balance, but it doesn't always work which is a genuine bummer since I'm colorblind and cannot always tell if the shot did not adjust properly.

I can tell the differences in color and hue later when looking back at the footage a lot easier, but it's painful when I see the shots that did not white balance properly look orange-like. The cuts are quite distracting between white-balanced shots and non-white-balanced shots.

My question for the wise ones out there is this...
Is there a basic effect in Final Cut Pro that can white balance the shot a bit for me? Or at least make it a little less orange without sacrificing good traits of the footage?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you! :)

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: Any Clean Way of Adjusting White Balance in Post-Production?
on Feb 14, 2013 at 3:07:32 am

Drop a 3-way color corrector filter on the clip. Double click and open it the viewer. Click the color corrector 3-way tab. You'll have your three color wheels. Click on the eye dropper next to the "whites" wheel. Move your mouse over the image in the canvas and use the dropper to click on something that's definitely white in the scene. That'll get you close. Often, very close actually.

If you're colorblind and can't easily tell, it's probably a good way to go. Hope that helps!

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!
Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]