FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 output for tv - asked for "16:9 FHA"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad DeCecco
FCP 7 output for tv - asked for "16:9 FHA"
on Feb 13, 2013 at 8:54:28 pm

Wondering if anyone knows the best way to export a 4 minute music video sequence. Here are the details:
Canon 5D Mark II footage in 24p in FCP 7.

The client (a tv channel wants it to broadcast) only said:
"Re: Format: 16:9 FHA & sound in stereo please."

Someone said that this would mean my HD footage will be squished into 4:3. Is there a way to crop or force a letterbox somehow so that when it is squished into 4:3 it doesn't get distorted? I haven't heard this specific/vague request before- what settings would you use for export etc? Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 output for tv - asked for "16:9 FHA"
on Feb 13, 2013 at 9:10:47 pm

Full Height Anamorphic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_widescreen

Yes, that means they want an anamorphic output...16:9 squeezed to 4:3.

[Brad DeCecco] "Is there a way to crop or force a letterbox somehow so that when it is squished into 4:3 it doesn't get distorted?"

Not sure what you mean. Anamorphic means squeezed...it will look distorted. But, when put into a timeline, or broadcast with Anamorphic in mind, it will be full 16:9 and not look squeezed. HDV is anamorphic, as is DVCPRO HD. There are SD anamorphic formats too. They look fine when in the timeline, because they are flagged as anamorphic.

[Brad DeCecco] "what settings would you use for export etc?"

Well, what format are they asking for? Tape? SD DV file? HD file? File type...compression type?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brad DeCecco
on Feb 13, 2013 at 9:30:58 pm

Thanks for weighing in. I get it now. They didn't specify any format or codec, they gave me an ftp address so I figured I would send an uncompressed quicktime file and that way they can just do whatever they need to with it. It's only 4 minutes so would only be a few gb's. There was talk of having them convert it to PAL for Europe, so they'll be going into the edit suite with it anyways. Anything else special I should do to it before export with the anamorphic in mind? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 13, 2013 at 10:12:40 pm

That's very odd. Well then, give them the best quality you can, ProRes. There is a setting for Anamorphic ProRes...use that.

"HDV-Apple ProRes 422"

Copy and paste your sequence into that, render, and export.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Brad DeCecco
on Feb 28, 2013 at 1:51:49 am

So when I try to cut and paste the 24p sequence into the new sequence (PAL Anamorphic) it says "Not Found" when I try to paste it into the new sequence... Any help???

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:06:43 am

You made NO mention of the frame rate discrepancy. 24fps to 25fps. This is not how you do it. Answering you on another thread...the one you just started.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Brad DeCecco
on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:28:43 am

Hi Shane, and thanks. They never told me they wanted PAL until today! Two weeks ago, when they first came to me, I made a 24p pro res file that was gorgeous! I had to make a choice of what format to export in, because they didn't give me any more information. So I exported an HD file at 16:9, pro res.I sent it and heard nothing. Now, all of a sudden - they need very specific dimensions, which I will post in a second. But it does involve converting my 1920 HD footage in 24 P to a smaller, Anaporphic, SD size. I have no idea how to do this

This is new information, so that is why I am trying to figure out how to conform to these more specific specifications. Any help and wisdom is greatly appreciated. I will post specs now

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Feb 14, 2013 at 8:04:10 am

Strange. 16:9 FHA was the standard for SD over here in Europe for several years before we changed over to HD, squeezing the 16:9 picture into all of the 720x576 pixels on (usually) Digibeta tape.

(Squeezing doesn't mean changing the shape, it's just another setting of non-square pixels.)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 14, 2013 at 11:40:00 am

16:9 FHA never really caught on here in the States for broadcast (nor did letterboxing). I used to work on a video game show for SpikeTV and all content on Spike's SD feed was required to be 4:3 full frame. This presented a problem because video games at the time were all 16:9 so giving them a 4:3 center punch would ruin the game footage due to the cropping. We finally were able to convince the network that our viewers (not to mention video game creators and publishers) wouldn't be happy with that so the show was the first, and I think only, content on Spike's SD feed to be letterboxed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]