FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codec not found. Final Cut Pro 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Fox
Codec not found. Final Cut Pro 6
on Feb 13, 2013 at 3:50:27 pm

I've seen this referenced in other posts but have not found a solution.

I recently transferred FCP 6 from a powerbook to am Imac. I'm using OS 10.6.8

Since the transfer I have been receiving the error message "codec not found." and "general error, out of memory".

Unfortunately I do not have the original discs, so I'm hoping there is a way to fix this without having to reinstall from disc.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Codec not found. Final Cut Pro 6
on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:21:43 pm

Sorry to give you bad news, but migrating FCP doesn't work. There are bits and pieces of things it needs installed throughout the operating system. Codecs and QT components installed in the LIBRARY and SYSTEM LIBRARY, plugins, FX Plug components. Those don't get migrated when you use the MIGRATION ASSISTANT.

Only a full install from the installer discs will put all the proper components where they need to go.

Looks like you'll need to go shopping for those discs on ebay...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ann Fox
on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:59:08 pm

Is there a list of folders and preferences that need to be copied over into the new computer's library?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:09:43 pm

I don't know of a list. There are so many files...a dozen or so, scattered over the main LIBRARY and then the SYSTEM>Library. There's and app called FCS REMOVER that will trash all of them, so the author of that must know what is where.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:45:04 am

[Ann Fox] " I have been receiving the error message "codec not found." and "general error, out of memory"."

You will also get these error messages if there is non-standard or too-large frame sizes on the timeline, since FCP doesn't have the vocabulary to describe those circumstances.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Vince Panero
on Mar 17, 2013 at 6:55:17 pm

so i'm running 7.0.3, since 2010. took a hiatus from FCP, and am now into it again, and seeing these errors contantly.

i may have "non-standard or too-large frame sizes on the timeline", here's my situation: i started editing HDV videos on my FCP originally (never varied system settings since then), but recently have been throwing in iphone video footage to the mix, mp3s and .wav files.

would that impact it? always self taught on FCP, and i'm relearning it again.

any help appreciated ;)
-V

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]