FORUMS: list search recent posts

Whats the best approach for offline to online workflow in FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack wormell
Whats the best approach for offline to online workflow in FCP 7?
on Feb 13, 2013 at 12:19:15 am

Hi There

I'm still using Final Cut 7 on an old Macbook, and as you can imagine it's rather hard work for my laptop. I'd like to recompress the footage down to JPEG2000 from Apple Pro Res 422 (it was shot in this) and edit in this and then reconnect once my timeline is finished.

What is the best way to go about using the Media Manager for this? I don't want to convert entire interview clips because they are extremely long, but just the bits I want to use (this is just for a teaser). When I reconnect should I just reconnect from the sequence, or the individual clips (in which case I will make subclips before I down convert).

Also, should the initial timeline settings be that of the full quality media or the down res-ed media?

Thanks for any help given.

All the best

Jack

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Whats the best approach for offline to online workflow in FCP 7?
on Feb 13, 2013 at 1:01:43 am

Well, it's either all or nothing. Because FCP cannot reconnect smaller clips that were once part of bigger ones, back to the bigger ones. Say you took a small 5 min bit out of a 2 hour interview. So now you are using this smaller part. Well, you then cannot relink that 5 min clip to the longer, full res 1 hour clip...because the timecode start and stop are different, as are the duration. Those are things FCP really needs.

Now...you CAN do this, but you need a third party app to do it, so not only are you going to make the process more complex by editing offline and then reconnecting online (frame size differences will make any graphics, moves on stills, zooming in on clips tricky), but you are not going to recompress full clips, but only sections. VERY tricky.

The app for connecting the smaller clips to larger ones is FCPReconnect.

http://www.videotoolshed.com/?page=products&pID=41

I can verify that it works, and works well, but I have only used it to connect smaller full res clips to larger full res clips.

If you want to recompress everything, I have a full workflow laid out in an article in this free magazine:

http://www.supermeet.com/supermag/2008/index.html

Transcoding for Editing on the Road by Shane Ross

And you won't use JPEG2000...that's a finishing format. You'd use Offline RT, which is a JPEG codec, but not 2000. or you'd use ProRes Proxy.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

jack wormell
Re: Whats the best approach for offline to online workflow in FCP 7?
on Feb 13, 2013 at 8:17:26 pm

Hi Shane

Thanks very much for the pointers.

Jack

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]