FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Codec for large screen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike rakoff
Best Codec for large screen
on Feb 12, 2013 at 9:13:14 pm

Hello -

I'm sure this is asked a lot but I have edited a web series and am now cutting it into a feature which will air on the big screen.

It was shot on 5D H.264 / 1920 × 1080. Then transcoded into AppleProRes 422 for the web. I wanted to re-encode the episodes into a better/higher quality. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best Codec for large screen
on Feb 12, 2013 at 11:50:17 pm

ProRes 422 isn't for the web...it's for editing, and mastering...delivery for broadcast. If you plan on going to the web, re-encode back to H.264.

Is that BETTER than ProRes in terms of quality? No. ProRes has a higher data rate and is better quality by far. But the web players don't play back ProRes. They play back H.264...either as Mp4, MOV or flash.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

mike rakoff
on Feb 13, 2013 at 12:33:43 am

Hi shane,

Sorry I didn't specify. I have already re-encoded from Pro Res back to H264 for youtube.

Though my question is, if I should use a different codec for film festivals now, which will no doubt be screening this on a large screen?

Basically, can I and/or should I upgrade my workflow from prores422 to another codec? One more suitable good quality once the file is enlarged?

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 13, 2013 at 1:05:36 am

ProRes 422 is a finishing codec. It is often asked for as a final deliverable for film festivals and broadcast. Re-encoding what you have to any other codec will not increase the quality in any way.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

mike rakoff
on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:18:41 pm

Okay, thanks Shane! BTW does that also include going from ProRess422 to ProRes422 (HQ) or 4444?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]