ProRes Question - H.264 from T3 Rebel & 7D

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dimi Tris
ProRes Question - H.264 from T3 Rebel & 7D
on Feb 12, 2013 at 11:15:21 am

Hi there CCowers!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have loads of H.264 Canon T3 Rebel, and 7D footage I will be cutting for a documentary. I have a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo running LION, Mac OS X v10.5.8 (2 GB, unfortunately - should upgrade to 8 GB to save time) and Final Cut Pro 7.

The footage is on my hard disk. After reading that all the footage should be converted to "ProRes 422 for Progressive Material" for editing purposes, I realized that my 110 GB of footage will become 770 GB, if I remember the analogy correctly. That means I need to buy a 2 Tera WD HD, connected via Firewire 800.

I have shot the following footage on: couple of clips 1280x720 50 fps, couple of clips 1920x1080 23.98 fps but most of my footage on 1920x1080 25fps. I have decided to convert all the footage to 1920x1080 since that's what I used for most of the footage. I have read that you need to make a copy first, then convert to pro-res, then conform to 25 fps and obv. resize the other clips to match 1920x1080. Using Compressor directly as a batch converter, I have noticed that when I do the 50fps to 25fps,it is slower in speed obv,and the sound's pitch is shifted.

First question: how can I fix the sound/pitch issue?
Second question: I have noticed when converting from .H264 to Pro-Res, a difference in color tones. The Pro-Res one, doesn't look so "lively".. It's like the colors have faded. Should this bother me, pr should this be fixed at the end, with color correction, after having cut the whole documentary?
Third and final question: The 1920x1080, 23.98 fps were shot under a cheap light, and flickering occurred. Is there any way this can be removed?

I would like to pick my workflow so I can start editing.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
Re: ProRes Question - H.264 from T3 Rebel & 7D
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:36:20 pm

First question:
Using a pitch-shift like this http://documentation.apple.com/en/soundtrackpro/effectsreference/index.html...
Second question: YES
Third and final question: YES but depends from the fotage. this can be time consuming.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Dimi Tris
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:40:05 pm

Thanks Massimo.

In regards to the third question.Could you please give me a way to edit this. It has to be done frame by frame, or a filter can be applied?

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:57:32 pm

It can be done in After effects, search on AE forum
this can be a starting point...
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/953740
hope this can help you!!!

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 13, 2013 at 11:43:31 am

[Dimi Tris] "I have read that you need to make a copy first, then convert to pro-res, then conform to 25 fps "
You need conform to p25 only if you want the footage slow down to 50%.
The footage will be read at 25fps instead of 50 fps.
So if you want the p50 stuff played at normal speed, skip the conforming.
rafael

Return to posts index

Dimi Tris
on Feb 23, 2013 at 11:41:30 am

OK thanks Rafael that clears things up for me.

So all I need to do is to have all my footage, match the following
1920x1080 25fps. ProRes 422 (HQ). So that I don't have to render anything in FCP.

Correct?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]