FORUMS: list search recent posts

When using 3-part color corrector, does lowering brights impact darks much?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
When using 3-part color corrector, does lowering brights impact darks much?
on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:11:57 am

I'm doing lots of shooting outdoors with a Canon XA10. The problem is I'm shooting people with dark skin under bright sun. I'm often forced to make sure the scene isn't blown out. That said, what is blown out isn't what I'm interested in. So sometimes i think let it get a bit blown out if it means the darker things in the image aren't so close to 0 in my wave form monitor.

I plan on editing in FCP 7. Question: if I have things blown out - like sky and clouds - in the image and I use 3 way color corrector to lower them, will the darker things in my image, like the faces in the image, also be affected?

I hope this description wasn't too confusing. If only I was near my computer with FCP 7 to actually test this!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: When using 3-part color corrector, does lowering brights impact darks much?
on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:26:44 am

Yes. The 3-way is good for small alterations, but bigger changes affect the whole image. The 3-way isn't good at limited the changes to only the Highs, Mids and Lows.

Color is great at this, but has a learning curve, and specific workflow. But, Red Giant's Magic Bullet Colorista does a great job. It's looks almost identical to the 3-way, but the separation between the wheels is more defined. It's my go-to tool when I don't use Color.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Feb 12, 2013 at 2:26:59 am

so using the Red Giant program means my idea of letting the sky get blown out but keeping the faces in a good range is a good idea? or at least a viable one?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 12, 2013 at 2:28:54 am

Actually, no, it doesn't. Once you blow out the sky, the detail is gone. There might be SOME there to dig out, say in one of the color channels, like RED or Green. But that is never something to aim for. Graduated filters are good to have for the shoot.

But, if your main focus is the people, the sky can be blown out. Been done lots before. Try not to though.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]