FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Mutiple Formats in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leigh Doughty
Editing Mutiple Formats in FCP7
on Feb 11, 2013 at 1:45:56 am

Hi all,

I've just recently started editing a documentary which has been shot mainly on a Canon 5D, but there is also footage from a HandyCam, Flip Cam, 550D and even the odd things here and there shot on mobile phones. (So we're talking different aspect ratios, different, frame rates, different codecs, etc)

What is the best way to approach this? I originally started converting everything to Apple ProRes 422, 25fps, 1920x1080. This seemed like a good idea at first but obviously I'm now getting into the Terrabytes of memory that is being used due to the converted files.

Would it make sense to down convert everything to say, 640x360, (or something of that respect) and then ''reconnect media'' once we have final edit in place, reconnecting the media to it original source files. I know this will mean a humongous render at the end but would this been a sensible workflow?

Or does anyone have any other advice on how to tackle this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Editing Mutiple Formats in FCP7
on Feb 11, 2013 at 2:38:41 am

Storage is incredibly inexpensive, so just buy more.

An offline - online workflow is just an unnecessary redo that you will have to do at the very end of the project when time and money will be gone.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:53:08 am

Don't use FCP for this. Get Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. That will deal with all those formats natively. No transcoding.

If you insist on FCP, the only workable option is to convert all the footage to ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Leigh Doughty
on Feb 15, 2013 at 11:07:21 pm

Thanks for the responses!

The project has advanced quite far already in FCP7 so I'd like to stick to it (any future projects will be started in Premiere).

I imagined that ProRes'ing was the way to go, but wanted to get some opinions on it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]