FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stability of a home burnt Blu-ray?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony williams
Stability of a home burnt Blu-ray?
on Feb 10, 2013 at 9:28:26 am

My question is will a Blu-ray disc burnt by myself be as stable and reliable as a BD made by a post production company from my quicktime?

BACKGROUND:

I have a 72 min project that is having a VIP screening to 400 people in a cinema. (We do not have the budget to make a DCP so are screening from Blu-ray). I have had a post production company made a BD from my quicktime. It looks fine on domestic equipment but when screened in the large cinema is over saturated.

As the cinema is 10 mins away and the post production house 4 hours away it would be easier for me to do an overall regrade to reduce saturation and make my own Blu-ray using the 'Share' function on FCP7 then burn on my LaCie BD burner via toast (as I have done in the past) test screen it at the cinema and repeat the process till it looks ok.

My question is will my self burnt BD be as reliable and stable as a professionally burnt disc? It would be a disaster to have it stick, or jump ot drop out on the night.

(It does seem odd that BDs burnt by me or the post production house look fine on home projection systems, and flat screen TVs, but are oversaturated in the cinema from a 2k digital projector)

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Stability of a home burnt Blu-ray?
on Feb 10, 2013 at 4:29:05 pm

The projector may need to be calibrated for Bluray.

Does your disc have bars & tone?

Return to posts index

tony williams
on Feb 11, 2013 at 1:26:41 am

I think you are probably right. The problem is we are being slotted in between normal features so the cinema wouldn't want to mess around adjusting the projectors. It seems this is a constant problem with the evolution of cinema digital projection, particularly for film festivals which run a variety of formats - and its a constant problem. Bring back film!!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Feb 10, 2013 at 11:28:47 pm

I'll admit up front to having no knowledge of professional projection systems, but if it is a "VIP" screening I would be far more comfortable playing off of an AJA KiPro, or even off of a laptop using an HDSDI interface (play in Final Cut Pro over an AJA T-Tap, Blackmagic UltraStudio 3D, etc.) thank I would BluRay. BluRay is a consumer format, and it sounds like you have need for more stability than consumer gear offers. An added bonus to the KiPro or timeline plapyback would be avoiding MPEG2/MPEG4 compression from a BluRay burn.

The KiPro Mini would probably be the box with the most utility moving forward, and it's affordable at under $2,000. It's intended for capturing streams in ProRes/DNxHD from high end cameras or production switchers, but it also has playback over HDSDI/HDMI. This is all going on the assumption that you can push HDSDI into the projector, which I would assume is an option since BluRay is an option.

If you aren't comfortable with this responsibility you could always hire a production company who handles events to roll up whatever they would use for playout. This could take some control out of the equation for you, but they'll bring professional gear with them and provide a throat to choke if something goes wrong.

Return to posts index

tony williams
on Feb 11, 2013 at 1:33:38 am

Thanks for those ideas - I will check it out and see what I can come up with.

If it becomes too hard I might have to resort to Blu-ray as the theatre can offer this system at the moment.

I guess a home burnt Blu-ray is probably just as stable as a post production house one off burn as the process is, I imagine, the same. The pity of it all is that my home burnt Blu-rays look superb projected on my home cinema system, but my lounge wont fit 400 people!!

Thanks for the input

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]