FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having Problems Exporting Full 2-Hour File from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Elling
Having Problems Exporting Full 2-Hour File from FCP
on Feb 9, 2013 at 6:33:13 pm

Hi, I am trying to export a 2 hour long project from FCP that I'd like to put up on Vimeo and I am having all sorts of odd obstacles popping up. Every time I try to export it as one continuous file from beginning to end, it will only export up until the 1:29:28 mark. I tried it with in & out points and without. It's happened three times now.

So, I thought, "okay, maybe I'll just export the 2nd half and I'll try to fuse them together somehow in MPEG Streamclip or something..." So I went ahead and re-exported the 2nd half. And the file had none of the specs I programmed it to export with. It came out Apple ProRes 422 LT, 23.98 FPS, and 1680x945. Why is this happening?

Is there no way to export a file over 1:30:00? If not, what is a good backup plan here? Can someone please guide me? Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Having Problems Exporting Full 2-Hour File from FCP
on Feb 9, 2013 at 6:45:07 pm

How are you exporting? File>Export>Quicktime Movie...self contained, do not recompress is the best way. Then take that into Compressor and compress as H.264.

What codec are you working with on the timeline? And what are your sequence settings?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Elling
on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:06:28 pm

Hi Shane, thanks for replying.

Codec is ProRes 422 LT. Sequence Setting: 1920x1080, 23.98, 48.0 khz.

I've tried exporting it a few different ways. One way was to export as QuickTime with the settings I wanted for Vimeo (1280x720, etc). When that didn't work, I actually did try to export it as ProRes 422 LT and it unfortunately did the same thing (cutting off at the 1:29:28 mark). Had that worked, I was going to take the file and put it through compressor, but I can't even get the full file to successfully export, so at this point I'm really unsure of what to do...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:49:18 pm

Is there anything odd in the sequence at that point in the timeline?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Elling
on Feb 9, 2013 at 8:07:01 pm

Nope. It just plays totally normal.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 9, 2013 at 8:48:18 pm

1) render all making certain that "Full" is checked in the drop-down menu

2) as Shane wrote, export a self contained file using "Current Settings"

If that doesn't work, you will either have to delete all render files from that timeline, and then re-render all; or, find a bad file type in your timeline, such as an h.264 or mpg file that's creating problems.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Mike Elling
on Feb 10, 2013 at 8:03:38 pm

Hi David, thanks for your reply.

I rendered everything and made sure that everything (including full) was checked in the drop-down menu, but it didn't seem to change anything.

It is so odd what is happening here. It is exporting completely different timecodes than the ones I am telling it to. I even tried exporting the final 20 minutes (the section that has been giving me problems), re-importing it, and then trying to export a 2 minutes clip using a minute from the old timeline and a minute from the newly imported timeline as a test, and the mov file I got was completely different.

How would I go about finding a bad file type? I've never dealt with this type of issue before.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:44:25 am

Is every single clip of the original media that you imported Prores 422 LT? Or is there a couple H.264 clips in there? FCP 7 doesn't play well with H.264.

If its not H.264 causing problems, I'd try:

-delete all render files
-trash prefs (digital rebellion)
-empty trash and reboot
-copy/paste all to a new sequence, render and export

Maybe it's not the right time to mess with it, but I've never had a problem with exporting reference movies (uncheck self-contained). Not that it would solve your issue, just that its quick (especially convenient when testing) and small file size. So long as the reference movie is treated as a one-time-use file, used to create the delivery file then trashed (I always add REF to the end of its file name for easy ID).

Return to posts index

Mike Elling
on Feb 11, 2013 at 9:21:23 pm

Yes, every clip was converted to ProRes before I started the project and there were no H.264 files at all.

I did everything you suggested: deleted all render files, trashed prefs, emptied trash and rebooted, copied/pasted all to an new sequence, rendered and exported. And still it exported only til the 1:29:29 mark. Seems weird that it's cutting off at that mark every time, right? Wondering if it's a Preferences issue.

What I'd like to try now is to take the 1:29:29 file and combine it with the other file I exported the other day somehow. Both files are ProRes 422 LT. Is there a good program out there that allows you to see where the two clips match up? I think it might be off by a frame or two as is. I've heard Quicktime Pro works well (but I don't have it) or MPEG Streamclip (which didn't seem to give you the option to tweak the clips at all. Really at a loss here. So frustrating!

I appreciate all the suggestions so far. Hoping there is a workaround here...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]