FORUMS: list search recent posts

cloud backup for 20 TB of video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david mayer
cloud backup for 20 TB of video
on Feb 9, 2013 at 2:13:44 pm

I need a cloud backup service that does not mirror my drive, but rather
backs up the 20 TB of video from my hard drives - basically, a 20 TB drive in the cloud that I pay for monthly. Ideas?

iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB
OS 10.6.8
Final Cut Pro 7.0

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: cloud backup for 20 TB of video
on Feb 9, 2013 at 8:43:17 pm

Adobe Creative Cloud, perhaps?

My across-the-street neighbor is a data security expert who works for a government contractor. I asked him about this specific situation. He replied that if it's absolutely essential that your stuff remain confidential, do not use the cloud.

It doesn't matter if it's Adobe's or someone else's cloud storage, there can be NO reassurances that the data will remain secure.

As long as you accept that fact going in, you're good.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Feb 10, 2013 at 9:19:46 pm

A quick Google search for Google Cloud Storage will allow you to find their pricing - $.067 per GB on the storage tier you're looking to join. Roughly $2,000 a month. They'll also charge based on your monthly bandwidth usage.

You'll probably need a more robust internet connection to make this work. Here's a transfer speed calculator. 20TB over a 45mb connection (if you're outside of Kansas CIty's Google Fiber bubble this is a pretty fast connection) makes the initial backup a 45 day upload. That also means a 45 day download if you need the entire archive.
http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/downloadcalculator.php

I'm not sure why you have the cloud requirement, but if it's simply for backup, tapes would probably be a better choice. I'd guess within 6 months you'd already return on investment for an LTO tape drive, two sets of LTO tapes, and a bank vault to securely store the second set. And that's without factoring in a faster internet connection. In case you're wondering it'd be about a day and a half to make/restore an LTO backup.

If the cloud is in place for moving files do weigh pros and cons of using 2nd day air to send LTO tapes versus paying for two fat internet connections. Even at 2nd day, LTO could be much faster than an internet connection.

Return to posts index

david mayer
on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:19:36 pm

Thanks, Jeff. Did not know about LTO.
My concern is simply all originals and backups
being in one location. I was thinking cloud was
best alternative. But you are right - it's crazy
expensive.
Will look into LTO. Will also calculate cost of regular
OWC 2 TB drives stored at a friend's house.

iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB
OS 10.6.8
Final Cut Pro 7.0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]