FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rename, Reconnecting Media Clip files within FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hope Holmesby
Rename, Reconnecting Media Clip files within FCP
on Feb 8, 2013 at 6:54:16 pm

Hi, thanks for reading...

In the timeline I have reconnected the clip Media A to Media B. I have that same file, Media B, in the browser, but fcp is not recognizing that file as having a link to the new reconnected file in the time line. How to:

1. rename the clip in the timeline to the new name, and
2. restore the connection between Media B in the Browser and Media B in the timeline....

Thanks so much
Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB; Mac OS 10.6.8, 16 GB RAM; 2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each; After Effects CS5.5; Sound Track Pro 3.0.1; Final Cut Pro 7.0.3; Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Rename, Reconnecting Media Clip files within FCP
on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:23:35 pm

[Hope Holmesby] "
In the timeline I have reconnected the clip Media A to Media B"

Why? Why not just replace the clip on the timeline (Media A) with the new clip (Media B) via regular editing? Why did you reconnect to a different media file? That's an odd thing to do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:03:01 pm

Shane, thank you for answering...

Ok, its good to know it is not really possilbe.

The reason I did it this way, kind of you to ask, appreciate, is because, for some reason, when I drag a second clip into the timeline, the clips usually come in squished.

Means: When I first set up a project, and drag in the first clip, fcp says the settings of the sequence do no match the media and do I want to change the settings of the sequence to match the media I am putting in.

This happens even tho I have carefully set up the sequence to match the clip/media I am dragging into the sequence. Dont know why it always happens. (Wide screen square pixel Photo Jpeg 1024x576)

If I say, no, I get the red line and the media comes in vertically squished with checkerboard above and below the video, and 'correct for aspect ratio' is grayed out.

So I say yes, and dont get the red render line, but the media is vertically squished, but this time, at least, it is filling up the window, meaning no checker board. Then I go to the Canvas window and uncheck 'Correct for Aspect Ratio' which is now not grayed out.

Then the view is correct for the video....it becomes un-squished vertically.

However, later when draggin in a second clip, usually, the video that is dragged into the timeline comes in squished again, but this time and I have to manually stretch it out to fit the Canvas.

But if I just reconnect thru the clip, it will come in properly..

So that is the long and short of it.

Oh boy. Sorry you asked?....LOL

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and think....you are very kind.

Warmly,
Hope

Thank you so much for your kind attention.

Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB; Mac OS 10.6.8, 16 GB RAM; 2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each; After Effects CS5.5; Sound Track Pro 3.0.1; Final Cut Pro 7.0.3; Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:09:46 pm

[Hope Holmesby] "This happens even tho I have carefully set up the sequence to match the clip/media I am dragging into the sequence. Dont know why it always happens. (Wide screen square pixel Photo Jpeg 1024x576)"

FCP is designed to work with broadcast formats, frame sizes and frame rates. What you mentioned there isn't any of those. 1024x576...that very non-standard. PAL Standard Def is 720x576. And Photo JPEG isn't a format that FCP likes to edit. ProRes is the codec of choice. BUT, the frame size will be an issue.

Where did this footage come from? You might need to consider a different application for editing this footage.

[Hope Holmesby] "Oh boy. Sorry you asked?....LOL"

Yeah...I was worried about responding. :)

This question, and the other one, seemed to be a hornets nest. You trying to do something FCP isn't designed to do. And now I can see I was right.

Where did this footage come from? And what is the destination?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:22:58 pm

Dear Shane,

You are really so sweet....really appreciate your help. Thanks for your bravery....(-:

Well, the video is a movie that comes from After Effects. It is a motion graphic I did in AE, then I take it into FCP to add the sound, and sometimes to add little clip corrections or sometimes to put together many animations, dissolving into each other....thats what I'm doing at the moment.

You are right about the PAL, so smart. It is for our main office in Holland. The video department wants that size:1024 x 576. I noticed that fcp offers a 1050 x 576, and when I mentioned that to them and tried to explain why it is a setting offered, they just said, keep as is....smile....

Soooo, it is comforting to hear you say all this, as it explains why I am not having the easiest of times.
(-:

Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:30:24 pm

The Destination is streaming on the web. It goes thru some 'airbox' and then octoshape delievers...or some such thing.

Life is here to enjoy.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:33:33 pm

Adobe Premiere Pro would be better suited for this workflow. Because it can handle the non-broadcast frame sizes.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Feb 8, 2013 at 9:47:37 pm

OK, well that is interesting to know
I do have that program. It came with the suite we bought.

Will try it out.

Just looked ot the Little Frog in High Def...looks like something very interesting there at the moment.

Thanks again, Shane, so very much. A kind and good soul you are.

All the best,
Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Feb 10, 2013 at 1:58:11 am

1024x576 comes from an After Effects guy who needs to deliver anamorphic PAL but likes to work at square (squarish) pixels. And then forget to resize on render.

1024x576 clip squished when dropped on 1024x576 timeline in FCP means "Anamorphic" is checked on the source clip. Picked up from metadata in the source file probably.

FCP can handle it. Output to the broadcast monitor will suffer though.

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Feb 10, 2013 at 3:51:53 am

Michael, thank you for answering here....very sweet of you...

You guys are all so knowledgeable.....so appreciate you all joining in.

Well, just checked to see if any anamorphic settings were there in the AE Comp, or the AE Output, or Render Settings....I dont see a thing.....I wish I could figure out what it was....

The fcp, as you have figured out, is definitely reading that, but I dont know how or where to shut that off in the source clip / media....meaning the outputted AE Photo Jpeg movie.

Thank you again for helping me think about this.
Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Feb 10, 2013 at 1:45:08 am

Lets say it's a piece of motion graphics and the guys keep changing the design. I'd rather reconnect than go through import–replace.

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Feb 10, 2013 at 3:52:41 am

Yes, quite so.....(-:

Life is here to enjoy.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 10, 2013 at 1:30:36 pm

i havent read the entire post, BUT...

in answer to your initial Q, the issue could be that that there is not a Master Affiliate relationship between the browser clips and the timeline clips.

very hard to fix that, simplest way is to use Tools Menu > Create Master Clips.
this can be neatest copying the sequence into anew project.
it wont help your reconnect problem AFTER the fact,
you would have to Create MAster CLips, THEN do the reconnecting

nick

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:47:35 am

OMG Nick...you are brilliant....as are all the others helping me...

that completely worked doing Create Master Clips....it did reconnect the clip in the sequence to the media in the browser....fantastic...

i just made sure nothing was selected in browser or in timeline, and then choose Tools : Create Master Clips

Now when i choose the media in the browser and do : Reveal affiliante clip in front sequence, it totally does it. HURRAY...

Thanks so much...really appreciat...
Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]