FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nvidia Quadro 400 and FCP issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcos Horacio
Nvidia Quadro 400 and FCP issues
on Feb 8, 2013 at 1:43:05 am

Hi everyone,
So after unsuccessfully trying to work with two graphics card on my machine, I finally got rid of my ATI Radeon one and have solely a NVIDIA Quadro 4000 installed on my Mac Pro 3.33 Ghz, 10.8.2. For the first couple of days of editing with FCP 7 it ran smoothly. But today, as I worked with on an Apple Pro Res HQ project, like many other times, FCP started acting up: dropping frames during regular playback, even when no render necessary, image flickering/freezing.

I have two displays connected to my graphics card and the frames dropping occur on both canvas/viewer on the main display, as well as when I try to output it to my external monitor.

Ops, I have the latest CUDA driver installed (5.0.37)!

I would really appreciate any advice from you guys!
Thanks,
Marcos H.

Mac Pro
3.33Hhz 6-Core Intel
12GB RAM
FCP Studio 2
AE / PS / AI CS6

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Nvidia Quadro 400 and FCP issues
on Feb 8, 2013 at 2:33:43 am

Hi Marcos

I would have thought your system easily exceeds that which FCP requires. Although it is not accelerated by CUDA that is a pretty hefty GPU so I would have thought that would be fine, at least I am not aware of any specific issues with that card.
You were quite right to use a single card as FCP and other things like Color don't like having 2 cards installed.

I wonder if the bottleneck is in your storage, this would be among the first places to look usually. ProRes HQ can be slightly more demanding on drives so what storage are you using and how is it connected ? Are you trying to playback multiple streams of media ?

If you have not done so already It might even be worth doing a simple prefs trash Digital Rebellion's Prefs manager is a good way to go although you do tend to get some slightly odder behaviour than simple drop frames if it is that but nothing to lose.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Marcos Horacio
on Feb 8, 2013 at 5:46:21 pm

Hi Neil,

Thank you so much for your response. I'll give the digital rebellion trashing preferences a shot. I've already rapaired disk permissions, restarted the computer but trashing prefs is still to be tried.

Had this happened prior to my changing graphics card, I would have considered the storage bottleneck possibility. But I have been using this computer for 7 months, with the same kind of Pro Res HQ projects, and never dropped a frame! It would be a very big coincidence if my internal HD (I have 4TB os storage exclusively for my media, FCP, AE projects) started to act up right now, right?

Besides, the "dropping frames" is not the regular kind one encounter when dealing with FCP. Although I have my settings checked to warn me when frames are dropped, I don't get any message. Sometimes the image will flicker, stutter or freeze during long intervals. It really looks like to me it's something else going on. Oh, and I also have a Blackmagick Decklink extreme card in the machine but I'm not using it.

Anyway, I'll give your suggestion a shot and will keep you posted on the results.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

Marcos H.

Mac Pro
3.33Hhz 6-Core Intel
12GB RAM
FCP Studio 2
AE / PS / AI CS6

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:29:07 pm

Hi Marcos

[Marcos Horacio] " It would be a very big coincidence if my internal HD (I have 4TB os storage exclusively for my media, FCP, AE projects) started to act up right now, right?"

I guess it would be unusual but not impossible - have you tried the Blackmagic Drive Speed Test utility ? Its free from the App store but you should also have it with the software that came with your BM Card. Might be worth having a look at what the read/write speed of that drive is doing compared with ProRes HQ requirements.
A single internal drive can struggle with more than a couple of streams of ProRes, especially HQ. Is it a 7200 RPM drive ?

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:52:14 pm

Try removing the BM decklink card if you never use it. If you occasionally use it make sure you have the latest drivers. My guess is that this is the problem.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]